2006 Ford Expedition Blowing Ignition Switch Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior S

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2006 Ford Expedition that keeps blowing the ignition switch fuse when turning the key to crank it and i have no idea why ive gone through like 3 fuses and it keeps blowing them everytime. its a no crank/no start and thats the only fuse it blows could it be my ignition switch or faulty wiring?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure it could be the ignition switch or the associated wiring. You're probably gonna have to start looking at the wires. You might find a wire that's shorted without too much work.

Here's something I found a few years ago.

CaradioDoc wrote:
A simple trick to finding a short is to replace the blown fuse with a pair of spade terminals, then use small jumper wires to connect them to a twelve volt light bulb. A brake light bulb works well. When the circuit is live and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness and hot so be sure it is not laying on the carpet or against a plastic door panel. Now you can unplug electrical connectors and move things around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

I actually just use a tail light socket from the junkyard and extended the wires. Then stripped the ends, flattened them and soldered them so I can seat them in the fuse block. Just gotta be careful they don't touch. If it's shorted it'll light up, now you can move the wires for the ignition switch around and see if the light goes out.

JChan

Reaction score
you will need a wiring diagram. The mitchell ones are really good. you have a short to ground

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire