2006 Ford Expedition Crank, no start with a lot of diagnostics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Will do, thanks for the link. I've had an old black and white mac tools one that has started to really fritz out- that one looks nice. I'll keep updating as I find stuff.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Borescope arrived today! I put a it down in the #5 cylinder (Drivers side front)- and with the drivers side phaser aligned how it should be for cam timing the cylinder is at top dead center- but the exhaust valve is open. not enough to hit the piston but it's open. I'm thinking maybe it sheared the phaser pin and let the phaser spin slightly on the camshaft?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's with the "L" timiing mark on the driver's side right? From what you describe happening I would pull the timing cover off and inspect everything and re-time it so you know it's correct. You don't see any piston top damage in the other cylinders on bank 2 ?

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Correct. I ran out of time to look, but plan to check all the cylinders That bank. Yeah that would be prudent. Fun times repeating others work.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Sure enough it sheared the pin and let it rotate. Got the new phaser on, put the borescope in the oil fill to verify timing mark was in correct position, snaked down to the crank and found a broken off piece of tensioner on the way. Gah
IMG_1825.jpeg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd replace both phasers with Ford phasers. Pull the timing cover, inspect the tensioners and chains. Replace the oil pump with a high volume Melling if it still has the stock pump on there. Pull the oil pan and make sure all the trash is out of the oil tube inlet and you don't find any big chunks of metal in the pan. Do you see a Ford part number on that phaser? Or did somebody do a half-ass job with Chinese parts ? Use only Ford phasers.

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
To me, it sounds like a timing issue. Timing chain slipped so bad that it put the compression out of wack and won't start. I am not sure if this is an interference engine, but I think it is. Keep it simple...suck, squeeze, bang and blow. Sounds like timing to me.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Ok, finally got around to redoing the timing. Looks like the previous owner used some cheap chinesium parts and put in new cam phasers. I think they didn’t change the timing chains and certainly didn’t change the tensioners and guides. One of the timing chains was stretched enough it ate the front cover alive. Besides being a total pain it was pretty straightforward. However it still doesn’t start. Cranks completely differently now way faster and sounds like videos of this motor cranking. Has spark and fuel and exhaust smelled badly of gas so possible I flooded it when I was cranking it with crank position sensor unplugged to prime the oil.IMG_3904.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpeg
    IMG_3905.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett