2007 5.4 squeaking/running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big-RY

Reaction score
My 2007 expo had always had the tick coming from the passengers side valve cover. Recently there's been a loud squeaking/whistling type noise, sounds like a screeching belt basically it it's coming from the passengers side valve cover. Since then it started to miss fire here and there. nownits starting to run real rough, doesn't have much power just cuz I can't really get on it cuz it will just start to buck and skip. So it will tick at first from a cold start and once it warms up is when the other noise starts. This past week it's starting to do a no start on the first try, I can just sit there and it will just turn over without starting, so I will turn the key off, then try it again and it will start, it's weird won't start on first try but will second try? Worn down cam lobe? Valves messed up? Any ideas would be appreciated. I can't find anything on the web that describes the sqeaking noise like I have, it all just talks about the tick. Engine has about 130k Please help!

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard of this in a 4.6 crown vic, it was the timing chain guides and tensioner failed and the chain was grinding on the front cover.