2007 A/C pressure and fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sentry6

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2007 expedition EB. charging the A/C i have an issue where my high pressure keeps spiking up over 300.. the question i have and i think my issue is related to the fan clutch, the fan clutch is a combo electric/mechanical. when i engage the a/c should i heard the fan kickup in speed? right now no matter how high the pressure gets i have no change in fan speed. with the vehicle off and key on and a/c engaged i can spin the fan freely... i guess im asking what is normal operation for the fan/clutch? and easiest way to test it?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your cooling temp rising and getting close to the red zone? Most cars with electric fans will turn on at least one fan when the ac is on.
You can test the fan clutch by observing the fan while the engine is running at a fast idle and the temperature is climbing. It will get to a point where it should come on. If it doesn't the temp will keep on rising towards the hot zone of the gauge.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your fan clutch is governed by the ecu. Normally when you turn on the ac it automatically engages. Test the wires going to it for proper voltage. If you need to change it, consider going into E-fans instead.

OP
OP
S

sentry6

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. the clutch is receiving signal, just doesn't fully engage. I ordered a replacement. Does anyone know the fan clutch nut size? I saw it listed as 47mm for 07 and 08 only and that all others are 36mm?

OP
OP
S

sentry6

Reaction score
Just an update, it was the fan clutch. replaced it today, pressure is down, a/c is colder. fan clearly changes speed.