2007 Chrome Clad Rims...Outraged!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2002EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 02 came with chrome clad wheels too.

But I didn't pay 51k so I'm okay with that.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think buying chrome rims from the dealership is a waste of money. better to get the bone stock wheels and then save up a little extra cash and buy some nice aftermarket ones so your truck has a customized look to it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have chrome clad wheels, but I know what you are talking about. I saw one or two "new" Expeditions with what you are talking about. It's almost like a "chromified" hubcap/snap on.

It's like you're walking by, and they catch your attention. "Ooo, look rims." But when you actually look at them, you can tell they're snap on. I thought, "WTF?" to myself. I figured it was Ford's way of offering cheap rims for people who couldn't afford the "chrome" option. As others have said, either take it up with the dealer, or return them, and use the money for some better looking aftermarkets.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you guys telling me that the whole wheel is covered with plastic? Or just the center cap as I was assuming......

Matt R

Breezyjr

Reaction score
Ok, so if this is like my '06 expy limited, I don't see what the big deal is. Yes, I was a bit miffed when I tapped on a spoke only to hear a plastic sound. But, from a distance you can't tell they're plastic.

Ok. in the interest of full disclosure, I did replace my stock wheel and tires, with aftermarket 22" wheels.

In either case, the pics looked like my "old" 06 expy limited wheels. I'm guessing you paid the extra $$ for 20" wheels, not so much for the Chrome. But, if you really don't like them, have the dealership put some "stock" wheels on, get back some $$$, and go out and buy some "real" chrome wheels. they're not that expensive, and they look much better than anything Ford can put on them.....

Good luck.. but, really relax a bit. Gonna send your blood pressure through the roof.

later,
Breezyjr

IQ99

Reaction score
I have an 08 with the "HUB DUBs" It pissed me off too. No one at the dealer in Stockton seemed to know about them being a chrome wheel cover. I then thought what have they been using to clean them with? I got the Eagle One suggestion when we bought it and mine was listed at 54K. Yes, we got everything on it. I got the 20 inchers as there are more tire choices than 18s. I think Ford needs to do much more explaining about what chrome clad is or hey offer us some different chrome covers or color matched covers. I mean if they are basically hub caps why not give us some choices.

mustangswan

Reaction score
I also have and '07 limited but with the 18's. I get people all the time saying how much they like the rims. A few did not believe me that they were stock. I had a 00 EB with the chrome clad wheels and they looked great until a 100ft fir tree crushed it in a wind storm. it was a good reason to upgrade to the 07. I think that the extra $ for the 20's is a little much though. Just my 2 cents worth.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was at the ford dealer the other day looking at the new expos and i had to walk up and do the tap test on the "upgraded" rims. I guess it was one of those things i didnt believe till i saw for myself, but sure enough, i tapped and it came up with a plastic sound.

I dont know about you, but when i buy aftermarket or upgraded "chrome" rims they better not sound like i'm tapping on the wheels of some 4 year olds big wheel!! Boo on ford for this cheap production of wheels