2007 Chrome Clad Rims...Outraged!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George G.

Reaction score
I just now realized and can tell what this clad this is....I've never noticed it before. I'm still not sure what to think about it considering what I paid for the truck. I think it's a pretty crappy thing to use on a vehicle like this. I'm still shocked that with the # of times I washed the truck (and rims), I never noticed this before.

This sucks. I know I wouldn't have paid the extra money for it had I known before.:mad:

IQ99

Reaction score
It boarders on false advertising. The dealer told me chrone rims.Well we actual got a chrone plastic cover for the 20 inch rim. Chrone clad?? What does it really mean? Better yet why should we have this discussion...Ford should not have been so damn cheap. The 08 F150 does not ride on Hub Dubs aka 20 inch hub caps why should we? Ford shafted us but I will relay my displeasure when I get the "how was your purchase" survey.

erock

Reaction score
But now what?

I also have the same, cheap, 20" plastic hub caps. Talking about false advertising, are they really chrome? I understand the chrome "clad" part, but aren't they "chrome colored plastic clad"? Did they actually chrome the plastic, before screwing them on the aluminum? I spoke with the Ford accessories guy and he said you can't remove them, and if you did you would have to buy a new wheel b/c they don't sell just the covers. Originally, I expected that there were better looking wheels underneath, but I was told they look like spare wheels, so don't attempt to remove them like I did (without success).

Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to swap wheels, or made any other progress with Ford (ie., customer service)? I imagine there are thousands of other frustrated customers who may be interested in some sort of credit or resolution...I have some extra time to make a stink about this. Anyone else?

Last edited:

IQ99

Reaction score
Make a stink. I am currently trying to get the tranny fixed on the 08 and just got the new TSB to fix the 08s #07/14/02 called hesitation/bump. I will renew the fight on the Hub Duds after the tranny is fixed.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 05 Limited has the same type of rims. They don't look so bad. PITA to clean. I only use them during the winter months though. My aftermarket rims go on during spring, summer and fall.

RaiderNations

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why even bother with those stock 20"s. If you can afford the limited Expy, go out and get some aftermarket rims and tires. Here is a look at my 07' XLT EL on 22" Dale Jr's. I have since added bug deflector and black billit grill. SNC10250.jpg
SNC10255.jpg

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice looking truck raider! you had the right idea about the rims...stock = plastic....aftermarket = bling bling lol Oh ya and bonus points for being a raiders fan!!

RaiderNations

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rolled over to the local Ford dealership in my toyota truck looking as if I was looking for a new Expy. I test drove the Black Limited EL and noticed it had those "chrome clad rims". After pushing off the sales guy to come inside and sit with him, I started questioning the wheels. "Man those look like plastic". He said the were steel rims coated in chrome. So I said "there fake dubs?" His answer was to do what I said in my last post. Just purchase the base wheels and pony up for some aftermarket rims and tires. I ended up leaving with a little bit more info on those "Hub Dubs". I would be rather upset if just rolled off the dealership with those wheels. They dont offer that info unless you bring it up. So I guess buyer beware. But overall the truck is the bomb!