2007 Expedition 20 inch wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juddsonr

Reaction score
Just got an 07 Expedition Limited with the 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels. To my surprise, the description of the wheels is accurate, but not what I was expecting.

The wheels are actually an aluminum wheel with a plastic chrome cover. I'm wondering if anyone knows what is under that plastic chrome cover. Could these be F150 wheels (King Ranch or other) with a cover on them? If so, I may remove the covers.

TIA

George G.

Reaction score
I have the factory 20's on mine and have no idea what you're talking about. They don't look like any type of removable cover.:confused:

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a carryover. My 05 Limited has factory 17' rims with the same cheesy plastic insert glued to a factory rim.

mustangswan

Reaction score
My '07 Limited has the 18" that are the same, and I never thought of what was under the chorme plastic cover. Makes me wonder also.

CJGeorge32

Reaction score
I am on my fourth Expedition (1997, 2003, 2004, 2007) I now have a Black 2007 Limited EL 4x4 with the 20 inch rim upgrade. However I was not aware when you purchased the truck that "Chrome Clad" meant chrome on a piece of plastic stuck on a rim? I honestly cannot believe that my 51k expedition has plastic covers on the rims. I consider myself an expedition expert and I never realized they were plastic covers. I am complaining to the dealer I bought the truck from and they are as surprised as I was. This is one of the biggest Ford dealers in So. Cal and not one salesman knew they were plastic. They remember that the chrome rims were important to me. I cannot believe that more "Expedition Enthusiasts" are not outraged. Everytime I stick with Ford I get slapped in the face. WHEN WILL I LEARN!!!

Definition of Clad:
–verb (used with object), clad, clad·ding. to bond a metal to (another metal), esp. to provide with a protective coat.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well i dont know about you CJ but if you are on your 4th expy then you obviously like something that ford is doing lol Last time i checked, the rims didnt make up my mind whether or not i liked the truck.....those are replaceable pieces and can be swapped out with after market items. The truck itself is what makes it worth owning an expy or a ford in general.

You should start to offer your help on topics that don't involve complaining about plastic coated rims lol Besides, this is 2007....everything on cars are plastic now!

Last edited: