2007 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j2gifted

Reaction score
My 1st Expedition so this is probably a n00b question.

Does my truck have a CanBus system? If so, how is directly related to steering wheel controls and the radio?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk 4

JDuncan

Reaction score
I know the 2009 uses CAN for the steering wheel controls but I am unsure about the 2007. I would imagine it does have CAN but that doesn't mean the steering wheel controls are being routed through it.

Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge will chime in.

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
I know the 2009 uses CAN for the steering wheel controls but I am unsure about the 2007. I would imagine it does have CAN but that doesn't mean the steering wheel controls are being routed through it.

Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge will chime in.

Thanks for the reply, I'm getting ready to install an Aftermarket HU and whether or not the controls are CanBus or not make a big difference

JDuncan

Reaction score
I believe on the 09 and newer you have to use the iDataLink Maestro. I believe the 07 and 08 can get away with using the PAC-SWIX, IIRC. Crutchfield should be able to confirm this. I'll check.

Edit
Crutchfield is listing the Maestro for the 07 as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
I believe on the 09 and newer you have to use the iDataLink Maestro. I believe the 07 and 08 can get away with using the PAC-SWIX, IIRC. Crutchfield should be able to confirm this. I'll check.

Edit
Crutchfield is listing the Maestro for the 07 as well.

When I talked to the people at Crutchfield they recommended the PAC RP4-FD11 http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1117 ...I dont need the iPod connectors though, and I'm told I will have excess wires for applications I don't have.

I was trying to see if I could be that price going another route.

I read some other posts that if I get the correct harness I could just wire the lines from pin# 18 and pin# 19 to the "Key 1" and "key 2" and retain controls without an interface...but I haven't heard anyone directly say "I did it and it works."

Also, the head unit I purchased doesn't have the 3.5mm port on the back that all if these SWI units have. How will I connect it?

JDuncan

Reaction score
They have specific model units for certain brands of headunits, like Eclipse. Judging from what I saw when I looked around, it sounds like your headunit would be more of a limiting factor than the bus. Several different adapters show compatibility with the 07 Expedition but most do use the 3.5mm port to convey the commands.

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.... looks like I have more reading n possibly some hacking to do

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
I've read of some people just cutting off the 3.5mm plug and wiring it to the harness of the radio. Does anyone have any info on how to properly do that?