2007 Expedition rear air ride conversion question- New member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenf

Reaction score
2007 Ford Expy needs 3rd compressor replacement and leveling sensors. Would like to convert to coil/strut. Has anyone done a conversion to Monroe 171139 on the rear end. There are several conversion kits out there and I question the quality. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I got sick of the surprise malfunction of the air ride and bought both front and rear shocks/struts from completestruts on Ebay for my 2006 Expedition.

I procrastinated for 5 months, finally deciding I didn't have the energy (or lift which makes it much easier) to put them in and got a local mechanic to do it for me a few days ago.

The total cost for just the parts was $279 - they seem pretty good so far. Not as nice a ride as air , but pretty good. Not sure how long these will hold up, but they seemed like pretty good quality to me.

There are so many electrical problems with my vehicle that I'm convinced there was probably nothing wrong with my air ride, but something wrong with the monitoring devices. Either way, the investigation would have cost far more than the repair.

Now if I can figure out why my engine sputters over 55mph, I might be able to sell it more easily. Hate to unload a problem on the next guy.

But anyway, I think its a great idea to get rid of all of the air ride - it's a money pit! Try Ebay.

jjuscg

Reaction score
Last summer, while towing a travel trailer a rear sensor failure caused my 2006 to lean to the right by about 3". When I started reading about repair costs and the almost certain failure of the remaining system, I decided to change out all 4 wheels for under $300. I don't know much about the various sources, but after reading reviews, I went with Suncore. The struts seem well made and sturdy. After about 6 months, I am very satisfied and happy that I am not worrying about the uncertainty of the next failure. The ride is definitely stiffer, but not bad, and I have to deal with the warning "suspension turned off" which you have to clear every time you start a trip. There is an electronic fix (about $100) for the warning light, but it's really not a problem to hit the reset button every time I drive. Suncore does offer a rebate core charge, but it is only about $50 for the whole set. I saved the shipping boxes and they sent me a prepaid shipping label.
I was sad to find that my air suspension would not last and would be potentially very expensive. Sorry to lose the excellent ride, but I don't regret the decision. Still tows my 7,500 travel trailer fine.

OP
OP
K

kenf

Reaction score
Update on the 07 Expy. Installed a Suncore rear conversion kit. The parts seems to be decent and the installation was straightforward. The truck sits a its normal ride height. There seems to be a softer ride and not much difference from the original air ride. For $157.00 and free shipping you cant go wrong. Not sure on the long term but I can always retrofit a strut if needed. Beats paying another $400-$500 for a compressor and levelers. BTW the original problem was a faulty level sensor that over-ran the compressor till it died.
The original design is great for sunny warm climates but long winters(-25) and road salt are a killer in Quebec Good thing I do not have the motorized running boards.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air springs are usually only good for about 10 years. I owned 2 Lincoln mark 7's. they both went bad. It's usually the front that goes because of the extra weight. I didn't care for the suncore air springs. They were thinner and stiffer than stock. Mine went bad after only 1 year. I swapped out for four coil springs, that were also bouncy and too soft. Hope you have better luck with your SUV. It always amazes me how a company has a oem part in front of them, but can't ever get dimensions, ride quality, or whatever the same. I guess it all boils down to profit. Always does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kenf

Reaction score
Update on 07 Expy. The Suncore product was a coil/strut package rear conversion kit. No more air rides for me. I found after a few repairs to my existing air ride($$$) the coil/strut conversion was the best option for now and long term.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the conversion with the Monroe kit last year and wish I had done sooner.