2008 EL, 5.4L engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsharpe08

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2008 EL with 62,000 miles and have recently noticed a ticking noise. It is very intermittent, sometimes occurring on cold start and others after it has been running. It only makes the noise for a matter of 30 seconds or so, It is not loud, and to me sounds like a lifter as the noise speeds up as the rpm's increase. Has anyone had this issue? I've read from others to change the oil from 5w-20 to a 5w-30 mixture as most have had success in eliminating the noise.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can try that, but the reason Ford recommends 5w20 is the crappy oil pump and problems with cam advance/retard phasers not behaving right, as they usually don't. Your probably not going to want to hear this part, but another common problem is the cam follower section that rotates in the block get frozen due to lack of oil, and heat. Kinda works like a lifter from a pushrod motor, sorta. Sometimes it's only one or two that cause it. Be sure your oil level is not low, and swap out a Ford oil filter in there. Sometimes the cheaper ones don't hold oil, and you get a clattering on cold startup. Use a long screwdriver up to your ear against valve covers, and see if you can narrow down ticking.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can try that, but the reason Ford recommends 5w20 is the crappy oil pump and problems with cam advance/retard phasers not behaving right, as they usually don't. Your probably not going to want to hear this part, but another common problem is the cam follower section that rotates in the block get frozen due to lack of oil, and heat. Kinda works like a lifter from a pushrod motor, sorta. Sometimes it's only one or two that cause it. Be sure your oil level is not low, and swap out a Ford oil filter in there. Sometimes the cheaper ones don't hold oil, and you get a clattering on cold startup. Use a long screwdriver up to your ear against valve covers, and see if you can narrow down ticking.

can't you lock out the phasers with a 15$ kit?
has anyone done this? how is the MPG and performance?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never heard of any kit to lock them out. Would be nice if you could bypass them completely, but it's a design that nobody's figured a way to circumvent. The 2 valve motors don't use them, at a bit of horsepower loss. 310 vs 260, part of the higher horsepower comes from better breathing 3 valve heads, and probably a more aggressive camshaft as well. Would be interesting if somebody offered a kit to do just that, eliminate them, fool the computer, and still pass smog. I think a lot of our early 3 valve motor owners could live with maybe 280-285 horsepower. Would be a great item if somebody had the know how.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5W-30 oil is recommended for this engine. The issue at hand does not sound like a camphaser, symptoms aren’t there.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 5.4L (bought new) has ticked on and off for years. Mostly off. More prevalent after starting. I just ignored it when it was doing it and it has pretty much gone away. 180K miles. I dont know what it is or if it was stupid to ignore it, but I did and its fine now. I've been chintzy with that beast.

Of course, having never had the "phaser" ticking problem ... I dont know what that sounds like. I had some other kind of problem (misfire?). If I had the "phaser" ticking problem I would want that corrected.

I did have Rocky Mtn Wood Tick when I was in Colorado. Corrected that!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lash adjuster was what I was trying to think of in my earlier post. Those are what get stuck in their bores, due to lack of oil and heat. Usually the rear ones #7 or #8 or #3 #4 on pass side. You'll have to pull that valve cover and cam to see if any are stuck

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never heard of any kit to lock them out. Would be nice if you could bypass them completely, but it's a design that nobody's figured a way to circumvent. The 2 valve motors don't use them, at a bit of horsepower loss. 310 vs 260, part of the higher horsepower comes from better breathing 3 valve heads, and probably a more aggressive camshaft as well. Would be interesting if somebody offered a kit to do just that, eliminate them, fool the computer, and still pass smog. I think a lot of our early 3 valve motor owners could live with maybe 280-285 horsepower. Would be a great item if somebody had the know how.

they make these small pieces of aluminum which go inside the phaser and lock them, eliminating the need for them to properly operate
i wonder how it effects MPG and performance

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday