2008 Limited - keep / get new one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
Hi all. I love my expy, and love this forum. Thought I would post a question here and get some input, if anyone is so inclined.

I have a 2008 Expedition Limited, all black and loaded up with everything except the HD towing and air-ride suspension. I love the truck, and would probably get another (maybe EL) as its replacement. I am trying to figure out if it's time to sell from a money and reliability perspective.

I figure i could sell at the following points, and at these supposed values (according to kbb, using 2008, 2006 and 2004 expedition values):

5 year old truck, 56,000 miles - worth about $25k (about 7k less than I paid 3 years ago)
7 year old truck, 75k - 80k miles - worth about $15k
9 year old truck, 100k miles give/take - worth about $10k

That's about as long as I'm willing to take it, since it is the primary vehicle for my wife and kids, and I want them in a reliable vehicle (this is weird to say, since I grew up driving a bunch of 100k+ mile cars lol). Other than tires, fluids and brakes (which I know are coming up) are there any other maintenance items I should be figuring into the equation?

If I sold, I'd probably get a 2010 or 2011 Expedition, maybe an EL (or Navigator or Nav L, for that matter), ideally certified and ideally in the 20k-30k mileage range.

Last edited:

06KR

Reaction score
Without debating financials which is not my business. By a mileage perspective, if your current limited only has 56k on it I would keep it. My F150 has 120k and runs strong my expedition has 75k. Just my .02

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep it. There is still plenty of life left in it.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am with everyone else - I would keep it. Between 2008 and present, there have not been any significant changes. If anything, I would keep it another year or two knowing that the new engines will be coming out soon in the Expy. at that point you could decide if you want a new one with the new power, or should be able to catch a deal on a holdover. I will say that I do not keep my vehicles for more than 70-80k miles though. But there are some significant changes expected. If it does what you need and is still reliable - I would keep. I know a lot of guys on these forums keep there vehicles much longer than 70-80k, that is just not me. It is not for fear of reliability - but more the financial portion that you somewhat broke down in your post. While I am well aware that keeping a vehicle much longer probably makes much more financial sense - vehicles, regulations and safety standards continually evolve. I would hold on another year or two.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree to keep it. We have driven our previous ones close to 100K with little to nothing more than normal maintenance (tires, shocks, batteries, oil changes). The only exception to this may be our current one because I wrecked it and it hasn't ever driven the same since.

dariod

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I guess I need to get over my fear of racking up miles from my daily commute on my 2012!

I traded in 2007 Lincoln Navigator "L" with 310K miles in 2011 for this Expedition EL. Hoping Expedition last me three more years and 200K miles more.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree to keep it. We have driven our previous ones close to 100K with little to nothing more than normal maintenance (tires, shocks, batteries, oil changes).

Same here. I have about 130k on my 07 EL and other than routine maintenance its been the best. I'm hoping for 200k! :banana-mario:

OP
OP
D

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the replies. I was just starting to get concerned by a few little issues I've been having pop up (bubbling on rear door - now fixed by a repaint, lousy window motors and squeaks, weird transmission sound when I need to brake suddenly...) and figuring it might be time to get a new one while there's still some value in this one... but sounds like they're solid vehicles for the long-haul.