Closer to buying one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Previous Expedition owner (2004) and looking to get back in the club with a 2011 that I’m looking at. This one seems really clean. Has a new-ish Ford motor with only 36,000 miles (truck has 175k).

Two observations from yesterday’s test drive: When it was started cold, i heard a constant ”click” from what sounded like the right rear passenger door area. Wondering if this is an air ride compressor? Is it on the passenger side?

The other issue is the bouncy ride. Is this normal for a 2011? A search of posts sounds like one possibility could be the LT tires, but I’m wondering again if its a function of an air ride system?

If the motor’s new, is the rest of the drivetrain reliable to 250k or beyond?

Need advice and know that you guys know better than anyone

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, a bouncy ride is not normal. It sounds like it needs new shocks. I have LT tires and when they're over-inflated for normal driving I can tell the wheels bounce over bumps more than normal, but the truck itself does not - if that makes any sense.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sort of confirms what I thought. Would a ‘11 XLT (pretty plain with very few options) have air ride? My old ‘04 Eddie Bauer did, and the previous owner replaced them with solid coil-over shocks. That is one thing I didn’t think to check out when I was looking at it, and I’m still curious about the clicking noise at startup that seemed to come from the rear passenger side.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sort of confirms what I thought. Would a ‘11 XLT (pretty plain with very few options) have air ride? My old ‘04 Eddie Bauer did, and the previous owner replaced them with solid coil-over shocks. That is one thing I didn’t think to check out when I was looking at it, and I’m still curious about the clicking noise at startup that seemed to come from the rear passenger side.

The clicking noise could be a defective HVAC actuator in the right rear HVAC compartment, but sound as though it is at the right passenger side (second row)?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Id say it def needs shocks, or the previous owner replaced them with a Monroe spring / shock package - which I did to save purchase and install money - Ended up with bouncing front end and raked stance. Had to redo the entire job with oem parts to get stock ride back. When replacing shocks, keep the stock OEM springs and use the Motorcraft OEM shocks for level stance and good ride.

Clicking heard from the rear of the vehicle is most probably 1 or both of the blend door actuators in the 3rd seat area. Make the seller change them both.

Try and find if the front blend door actuators have been replaced, if they have not failed / been replaced they will.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't think of an actuator, but that's exactly what it sounds like, now that you say that. I'll have to look into what all that entails.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't think of an actuator, but that's exactly what it sounds like, now that you say that. I'll have to look into what all that entails.
If it is a clicking sound that is only present when the HVAC system is activated, it is one of the blend door actuators. Some are easier to get to (the rears) than others. I have a 2011 with 62,000mi. Changed 1 of the front actuators in 2017 under extended warranty and then this past winter 1 more in the front (hard to get to) and 1 in the rear started acting up within a week of each other. The dealer gave me a good price to change all 5 at the same time and I took it before they changed their minds.