2008 Loud bang on downshift approx 70 mph when passing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
Update:

Is there a way to diagnose a bad coil or spark plug w/o a check engine light? I am pretty aggravated with the trans on this truck due to these issues as well as periodic dumping of transmission fluid when parked for more than 2 days in my driveway. Not to forget the transmission was also out of the truck for overdrive clutch TSB at 17k as well.

I have the certified powertrain coverage plus 100k premium ford extended warranty as well, but really consider taking a loss and getting rid of the truck soon

Let's please keep this post going until one of us gets this fixed

Thanks
Ed

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can ohm out the coils. I don't know what the reading is supposed to be, but I'm sure it's online somewhere. The only way to check the plugs is to pull them and inspect them.

JoeR123

Reaction score
Update:

Is there a way to diagnose a bad coil or spark plug w/o a check engine light? I am pretty aggravated with the trans on this truck due to these issues as well as periodic dumping of transmission fluid when parked for more than 2 days in my driveway. Not to forget the transmission was also out of the truck for overdrive clutch TSB at 17k as well.

I have the certified powertrain coverage plus 100k premium ford extended warranty as well, but really consider taking a loss and getting rid of the truck soon

Let's please keep this post going until one of us gets this fixed

Thanks
Ed
I saw you were still active. I have a 2009 that has the same issue. 150k on it now. Took it back to the dealer when knew they said they couldn’t find anything. It hasn’t broken down but I still want to fix it

williameverett12

Reaction score
Folks,

We have 58k on the truck and it has previously had the trans out for overdrive clutch replacement at 16k. The dealer also put 2 new u-joints in last week. We are getting an intermittent very loud bang when downshifting to pass on the highway at approx 70 mph. It is very abrupt and I have never experienced this in any truck or car I have ever owned.

The dealer can not find an issue, which sucks....Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Ed
Had the same issue with my 2017. Speed senor failure. I know when it happens it sound like a bomb going off. It's the senor in the tranmission.