2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Well I'm the Original Poster here, and no, I didn't intend on changing anyone's mind or starting a s**tstorm. I should have known better. When my 5.4 is gone, if I still like the Expedition's I'll have no problem buying an Ecoboost. Like anything else that's new to me, it will take some getting used to, but from what I see, it's a darn good motor. Hope it stays that way and that Ford doesn't do something stupid to save a few bucks.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I'm the Original Poster here, and no, I didn't intend on changing anyone's mind or starting a s**tstorm. I should have known better. When my 5.4 is gone, if I still like the Expedition's I'll have no problem buying an Ecoboost. Like anything else that's new to me, it will take some getting used to, but from what I see, it's a darn good motor. Hope it stays that way and that Ford doesn't do something stupid to save a few bucks.

Good call on Ford doing something stupid...like say getting rid of all cars minus 2. [emoji849]

Yeah, your rental was an obvious aberration in quality. It had obviously been mistreated from day 1. I have owned 2 EB Expy’s now and both have had none of the issues your rental did.

Enjoy your day!

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ford still sells multiple platforms powered by V8 powertrains and has said that their V8 is not going away so there are other avenues. Hopefully the 5.0 makes its way to the expy. Not to mention you can rebuild your motor or get a new one at that. There is always options.

Ahhhh. Should have known you would rebuild it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do find all the "concern" for the longevity of the turbochargers interesting...uneducated as it is. Turbos were invented over 100 years ago, turbos & superchargers won WWII for us. They are VERY simple as used in our trucks....with ONE moving part......

Turbos in trucks last well over 400,000 miles before being rebuilt along with the diesel engine. Any questions on longevity can be answered with a little education.....period.

jeff

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ford still sells multiple platforms powered by V8 powertrains and has said that their V8 is not going away so there are other avenues. Hopefully the 5.0 makes its way to the expy. Not to mention you can rebuild your motor or get a new one at that. There is always options.

I think I would bet a significant amount of money that we will never see a gasoline powered normally aspirated V8 in a Expedition ever again.
Maybe I would lose....but I like that bet.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would bet a significant amount of money that we will never see a gasoline powered normally aspirated V8 in a Expedition ever again.
Maybe I would lose....but I like that bet.

I’d bet you are correct, which is why I won’t be buying one, but who knows anything can happen. GM outsells ford tenfold in this segment, evidently people overwhelmingly vote V8 with their wallets. Ford used to have sizeable market share but it’s shrunken down I’ve the last few years and overall sales are down even further for 18’ from 17’ as per their own numbers. Different strokes for different folks as said, I won’t buy a V6, and you don’t have to buy a V8. That’s what’s great about this country, capitalism works and we can all buy what we want!

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet you are correct, which is why I won’t be buying one, but who knows anything can happen. GM outsells ford tenfold in this segment, evidently people overwhelmingly vote V8 with their wallets. Ford used to have sizeable market share but it’s shrunken down I’ve the last few years and overall sales are down even further for 18’ from 17’ as per their own numbers. Different strokes for different folks as said, I won’t buy a V6, and you don’t have to buy a V8. That’s what’s great about this country, capitalism works and we can all buy what we want!

Yep, to each his own. I've always been a late adopter and leery of turbos. But after driving mine, I'd never go back to a V8. Different strokes, but even an old curmudgeon like me eventually sees the light.

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Let’s be real; Expedition has never been a viable competitor to the GM offerings, and it really has very little (i.e. nothing) to do with the engines. They were late to the party, with a less sexy product. Second mover in the segment.

You having an aversion to a turbo V6 in a truck is really just a personal quirk that you own on your own accord. There is not a rational sales based or evidence based reason for it. The F150 sales numbers would suggest that people have been willing to vote for turbocharged v6 engines “with their wallets” as you say.

Forced induction advancements have revolutionized autos on every level. To irrationally dismiss that is just kind of odd. But like you said, no big deal. You have your right to choose. It’s just that someday, if you wanna buy a new truck, you’re going to have to become estranged from the v8s of the 1990s.

And for the record I would happily buy a V8 if it worked well and, well, THEY ACTUALLY OFFERED IT. Performance is the key for me, not the technical description or engine design, or the exhaust sound, or nostalgia, or whatever. Just pull my damned trailer. That’s what I want.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really don't understand why the GM offerings outsell the Expedition. I bought my first, a 1998, in part due to Consumer Reports rating it best in class. And my new Max outscores all the GM iterations by 65 to 53. But then again I don't understand how many people believe the things they do, either.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be real; Expedition has never been a viable competitor to the GM offerings, and it really has very little (i.e. nothing) to do with the engines. They were late to the party, with a less sexy product. Second mover in the segment.

You having an aversion to a turbo V6 in a truck is really just a personal quirk that you own on your own accord. There is not a rational sales based or evidence based reason for it. The F150 sales numbers would suggest that people have been willing to vote for turbocharged v6 engines “with their wallets” as you say.

Forced induction advancements have revolutionized autos on every level. To irrationally dismiss that is just kind of odd. But like you said, no big deal. You have your right to choose. It’s just that someday, if you wanna buy a new truck, you’re going to have to become estranged from the v8s of the 1990s.

And for the record I would happily buy a V8 if it worked well and, well, THEY ACTUALLY OFFERED IT. Performance is the key for me, not the technical description or engine design, or the exhaust sound, or nostalgia, or whatever. Just pull my damned trailer. That’s what I want.

There will always be a V8, you can’t even get a hd pickup with a V6 as it’s not even offered by ford or anyone else for that matter. All the big three offer are large displacement V8 motors in the truck segment and they keep updating them, minus light duty pickups. Ford doesn’t need to worry about the cafe regulations on the super duty unlike the F-150 though otherwise the 6.2L would still be the top option. Ford and GM have made their current V8s better and are only further developing them right along with the turbo options. The day the V8 is gone the V6 is gone too...... by then we are electrified.

Last edited: