2009 Expedition remove brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you get in there with a set of needle nose pliers to gently squeeze the metal babrs and simultaneously tap on the center of pin with a heavy punch?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Not sure, it's tough because you have to fold yourself in the foot we'll upside down with your legs up on the driver's seat of you can hang them out the door but then you get your back pressing against hard plastic edges. Now I am trying the ABS/RSC Module. I removed it, sprayed a few cans of brake cleaner into both the hydrolic part as well as the electronic solenoid part. Rinsed the rubber seals in clean brake fluid and jently put them back together and reinstalled. No success, bled a few times again, no leaks. Super soft pedal all the way til it's hard at the end. Anybody know how to trigger abs without locking them up in grass or sand? I did stay a bunch, bled again and still Mush.

20170219_160514.jpg

20170219_160534.jpg

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
So far this is the most frustrating pain in the ass issue I have ever seen. No codes. No lights. I have a spare booster but this makes no sense. I don't have a hard brake pedal. Vacuum is just fine. It's just super soft. Like there no hydrolic pressure at all. The brakes just work at the last quarter inch of travel.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible you might have to bleed your system hooked up to an abs scanner. Anytime you disrupt the abs system, that is usually what has to be done. If you've bled master cylinder, and all four calipers from rear to front, that's probably your next move. Check with your dealer or a shop that has the scanner to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ya, I bench bled the master again, watching from the driver seat, had the reservoir filled, pumped till the looped tube was solid fluid, quickly reattached bled the line towards the front of the vehicle 1st, then the one closer to the driver. Then bled all 4 corners again. Still crap, calling dealer about abs purge tomorrow.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You and captain dan with the same symptoms. His is a first edition but same issues. Do you have solid pedal with engine off? I didn't read that anywhere in your posts. Was the spongy pedal the reason for booster replacement. Also no abs light, lit up?

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to insult your intelligence, but are your rear calipers mounted correctly? Others have mounted the calipers opposite of the correct manner which places the bleeders on the bottom of the caliper instead of the top.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similiar issue with my Subaru. About 30 minutes of continued assinine driving on dirt roads helped bleed the abs unit altogether.

Albeit that isn't really the best solution, but it may assist in diagnosis and help relieve some of your tension.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I asked Dan. It's easy to do. I mean who looks at bleeders! You throw them on, and bolt them down. ******, make sure your bleeders are facing up, on all 4. I've done it myself years back.