Odd Brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveD

Reaction score
Hi
2011 Expedition KR. All brake components replaced less than 5000 miles ago. Now for the issue. This has been going on for less than a week. It felt like my parking brake was on when I took off from a traffic light. It was not engaged. I pull into the driveway and it has a slight incline. I put the truck in neutral and it does not roll back, after 5 seconds it starts to slowly roll back and 10-20 seconds (20-25ft) it is rolling freely. No high heat from any of the calipers and no pulling when the brakes are engaged. When I drive and use the brakes I can now feel the 15 - 20 second full release and the feeling of the parking brake like hold at take off from a stop.
Took the truck to the shop Friday. They think it is the brake booster!!. I am not losing brake pedal pressure when I drive or when I hold the pedal down. I have had a vehicle with a failed booster before. My friend and I are looking at it today. When I turned the truck off he had his head down buy the front drivers side tire. He says he hears air leaking around the ABS unit at the leak lasts about 20 seconds. I got out and he started the truck, let it run for a 30seconds and turned it off and I could hear the air leak.
I have looked on the forums and you tube and I am not finding anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

OP
OP
S

SteveD

Reaction score
Yes, I replaced all front 4x4 vacuum lines inner hub pieces and wheel bearings when I did the brakes, Air is not leaking rom hub.

OP
OP
S

SteveD

Reaction score
I thought that a hose might have been swollen internally. The shop bleed the brakes and there is no brake fluid " flow " problem.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would have that abs unit checked out, was no issue for 5,000 miles and then acts up is very strange. Wonder if you do a hard brake in an open parking lot and see how the system responds. Ford has had some issue's with loss of brakes with no warning, would make me nervous. Hope you have a good mechanic or dealership near you.

Spaznaut

Reaction score
My wifes '10 had a similar issue but it progressed to a bad pull to the right. Ended up being a frozen slide pin on the bottom right caliper bolt. Greased it up and works great. I also replaced the brake lines while I was at it (found the pin while replacing the lines thinking I had a collapsed one). I'm not sure on these vehicles if you can pull a fuse for the abs and see if it makes a difference. Also does it do this while cold or when hot? I don't think a vacuum leak would cause the brakes to stick but would make the pedal much tougher to push and engage. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find.

OP
OP
S

SteveD

Reaction score
Answer to Motorcity Muscle - Hot or cold
Answer to Spaznut - I am going to pull the fuse today. I still think it has something to do with the air leak at or near the ABS unit I hear when I shut the engine off. Obviously this could be happening while driving but I would have no way of knowing.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mY 05 HAD A SIMILAR TURNED OUT TO BE FRONT HOSES . THEY WOULD LET FLUID GO ONLY ONE WAY.YOU HAVE PRESSURE GOING OUT, NO RETURN SPRING ON DISK BRAKES. CHECK TO SEE IF ANY ARE RUNNING HOT