2009 Navigation in 2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDuncan

Reaction score
Is the nav unit from a 2009 plug and play in the 2007? I've searched and been unable to find a definitive answer here or on the web.

Thanks in advance,
James

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont think it's as easy as swapping out the head unit. The 07-08 NAV units made by Pioneer had an amplifier built into the head unit, then in 09 Ford changed to Clarion units and the amplifier was external. You would need to purchase the amplifier w/ mounting bracket and wiring harness to make it all work.
Also, there is a seperate amplifier for the subwoofer. If your Expy didn't come with the subwoofer option then you would need to add that as the NAV units were designed to be used with the subwoofer, without it the low end (bass) will be almost non-existant.

Matt

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that anyway? You would be much better off going after market. For one, you'll have better, more up to date, maps. If you have SYNC and are worried about losing functionality, you won't with Kenwood - they have a module to interface with it and I hear Pioneer is coming out with one too.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with the guy above, the nav ford installs SUCKS. You would be better off with a AAA roadmap than the system they use so with that said I would look at an aftermarket system that uses Garmin. I use a Garmin portable in my truck and love it, it's more more accurate and up to date than the ford unit.

Jdm5630

Reaction score
with the kenwood unit would you lose the functions from the steering wheel?. I have and 07 with the stock navigation but was looking for something better.

OP
OP
J

JDuncan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a Pioneer AVIC sitting in the garage, but it doesn't feature dual zone and the Expy I bought has the rear seat entertainment option. I'll probably end up going aftermarket but just wanted to be knowledgeable of my options.

Thanks again for the info.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's interesting is Pioneer lists the new models as being iDatalink Maestro compatible. It's a 3rd party solution. When you go to their web site, you'll see what they offer and what functionality is available for which radio models. The Pioneer must be really new as they only list Alpine and Kenwood manufacturers.

Maybe it would be worth it to sell your AVIC and upgrade to a new one with dual zone video and potentially get the SYNC interface too?

iDatalink - Maestro - New Releases