2010 Expedition, front wipers resting halfway up after linkage replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ltd Expedition. A week ago, the passenger front wiper stopped working, but the drivers side was fine. I figured it was the linkage. Since the motor on the linkage was working fine, I just ordered the linkage, and per my model, I needed one with rain sensors. I ordered the part from Napa: Part #: NOE 81999611. I removed the old linkage which had exactly the problem predicted: the passenger side linkage joint wasn't connected anymore. I removed the motor, put it on the new linkage, and installed the new linkage (I'll be honest, I was pretty darn proud of myself as a middle aged lady on the internet). The wipers worked, but they kept returning to the middle of the windshield as a rest point. They'd go all the way down and then RETURN to the middle point to rest.

I have since watched every video, removed the linkage three times and here are the results.
1. Remove wipers, run the linkage motor for a few minutes to recalibrate, turn off the wipers, and then turn off the car. Replace the wiper arms in correct resting point. Same result.
2. Considered I had installed the linkage arm that connects to the motor incorrectly. In some videos, the arm has a slot rather than a hole, so it can be installed in two directions, only one of which was right. My linkage just has a hole, but I oriented the arm the other way and reinstalled. The wipers now go up 1/2 inch and go back down. Clearly, that was wrong. Uninstalled.
3. Went back to the right orientation, called a mechanic, one of those guys who comes to your place. He spent an hour not believing what I'd done, did it all again himself, to the exact same results. Suggested it was a "programming problem". Passive aggressive quotes on purpose.

So the wipers work, but return to a position halfway up at the end of the cycle. I can drive with it this way, but something is clearly not right. I have exhausted the internet of reasons. Any ideas, braintrust? I REALLY like being able to fix things myself and understand them, and am really bummed about not understanding what's going on. I live in the PNW, so it rains constantly, I need my wipers to work.

Some concerns:
1. I was quite careful, but could this be something stupid like reversing the drivers and passengers side wipers? My drivers side wipers have a much deeper bend in the arm, but are otherwise the exact same length.
2. Could it be the part? It's a Dornan part, because if I bought the Ford part, it had to come with the motor, which I didn't need and was like, 3x as much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire