Rear wiper linkage stuck - Part number / replacement video?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allaneyre

Reaction score
Hey all,

2020 XLT. For a while now we've noticed the rear wiper going slow or not working. It finally gave up again today and I want to replace it. However, the parts counter at the dealership isn't finding the part except as part of the larger motor assembly. I think the motor is fine, just the part that is attached to the hatch glass and goes through the glass as the pivot of the wiper is bad.

I found the motor assembly on Ford's site: WM985 (JL1Z17508E) when I search by VIN. If you look at the pics, it shows it as one part together... but they come apart when the hatch is opened. It's also $550... so I'm not spending that unless I have to.

Looking through the "wiper" category of parts selected with my VIN, I also found JL1Z17C426A, which is listed as "Liftgate Glass Handle. Latch Striker." This appears to be the sub-piece of the entire motor assembly part I need. Has anyone replaced the piece before and can confirm? Per the diagram on the site, it seems to have the interior striker to the back hatch and the wiper pivot arm. What I'm confused about is the extra plastic pieces on the interior and exterior side of the diagram for that part.

Are there any videos of people replacing the rear wiper parts on 2018+ Expeditions I'm not finding? There are a few good videos out there for 2017 and earlier, but that seems to be a different hatch glass set-up than 4th gen's. When you do a google search for 4th gen model years, you also seem to get the Dorman part 602-305... but based on the pictures and fitment listing that is not the correct part.

If anything, hopefully this helps others in my situation. Will try and report back if I just go ahead a purchase and try to replace.

Thanks!

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny enough you mention this...........my 2018 Platinum had this fail under ESP warranty in summer of 2022..............my 2019 had this fail a couple weeks ago. Dealer denied under ESP, I reminded them that they got this covered somehow on the 2018......... he called back and said they found a way to cover it again under ESP. Must be a bad design somewhere in that mechanism.

OP
OP
allaneyre

allaneyre

Reaction score
BTW, I did purchase and install "Liftgate Glass Handle. Latch Striker.", Part # JL1Z17C426A. This is just the rotating piece of the wiper that goes through the glass. If your wiper is stuck, slow, or won't return "home"... this is the piece to get. I never did find a video for the 4th Gen Expy's... but other third gen videos on You-tube were close enough. Be aware that there are some interior covers you need to removes to get to all the screws/bolts. Pro Tip: If it's not coming loose or the part doesn't fall out... you haven't removed all the bolts yet! The outside bolt was very tight on mine, wasn't sure it wasn't going to shatter the back glass... but it eventually came loose.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire