2011 Expy EL Ltd - Water in Passenger-Side Floorboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgouch

Reaction score
Started getting water in the floorboard (under the floor mat) a couple of years ago. Water is hot and can be as deep as 1/4". I've had it "repaired" 4 times already by the local Ford dealer; now shop says I have to pay for the "repair" as my truck has over 150k miles on it (out of warranty) - it was no where near that when I first started paying for the "repair."

Anyway, it's back in again and this time they said they are going to find out what's going on.

Yes, I have a sunroof, but when I first got it and that leaked, the headliner was wet and there was water on the pillar and trim down to the floor. I really don't think that's it, and the dealer said they poured water on the roof all night and no water.

They also said they've checked the A/C condenser drain and that's not it either.

Last week on full day drive, something under the glove box was dripping on my feet. We told the dealer about that too, as it seems that might indicate what's going on.

When there is water standing there, it's pretty warm. It's under the floor mat - it only gets wet when the water is deep enough to seep over the side of it.

Also, the floor in the second row right behind the center console gets very warm too - although it stays dry.

Just got a message from the dealer that as they can't figure it out (again); they want to order and install a new heater box. If that's the problem, then I'm okay with it. But I really hate to shell out $2000 as an experiment to still have leaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions or info please?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you noticed the sweet smell of coolant in the cabin? When you clean the inside of the windows, does the paper towel have a green or yellow tint to it? I suspect you may have small (pin hole) coolant leak in one of the heater lines. You will notice the smell pretty quickly, though.

There is only one source of fresh water on a car, and that is the AC condensate. If it isn't that, then you're leaking water from outside (rain, car washes, etc.).

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started getting water in the floorboard (under the floor mat) a couple of years ago. Water is hot and can be as deep as 1/4". I've had it "repaired" 4 times already by the local Ford dealer; now shop says I have to pay for the "repair" as my truck has over 150k miles on it (out of warranty) - it was no where near that when I first started paying for the "repair."

Anyway, it's back in again and this time they said they are going to find out what's going on.

Yes, I have a sunroof, but when I first got it and that leaked, the headliner was wet and there was water on the pillar and trim down to the floor. I really don't think that's it, and the dealer said they poured water on the roof all night and no water.

They also said they've checked the A/C condenser drain and that's not it either.

Last week on full day drive, something under the glove box was dripping on my feet. We told the dealer about that too, as it seems that might indicate what's going on.

When there is water standing there, it's pretty warm. It's under the floor mat - it only gets wet when the water is deep enough to seep over the side of it.

Also, the floor in the second row right behind the center console gets very warm too - although it stays dry.

Just got a message from the dealer that as they can't figure it out (again); they want to order and install a new heater box. If that's the problem, then I'm okay with it. But I really hate to shell out $2000 as an experiment to still have leaks.

The "heater box" under the glove box in my 05 would drip after we had been driving for 3 hours or more. The evaporator coil is in there as well and I think over time the insulation breaks down and the outside gets cold and it sweats like a cold beer can on a hot humid day. The exhaust and the cats runs under the passenger seat and if the heat shield has fallen off it will heat the water that is on the floor boards. It also runs under the rear seat too. Does that help at all?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to check the front ac drainage hole for restriction. Also check the box around the front evaporator for cracks.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is your issue or not, but my 2010 Limited had a similar issue. I bought it used several years ago and when I got it home I noticed that the passenger side floor mat and carpet was wet. Also had a musty smell, as the problem had been going on for a while. I did the normal research, checked the sunroof and AC drainage tube, but the problem persisted. I did notice that the carpet would be wetter when it rained. The water was even running back along the door jamb to the rear carpet. So I started tearing into things. I removed all the plastic trim, and the kick panel by the passenger's right foot. Behind that kick panel is the computer, and I found that behind the computer is an oval-shaped access hole thru the cab...probably so you can unbolt the front fender. It's about 2"x4" if I recall. The hole is normally sealed with a rubber cover, but I discovered that this rubber cover had fallen out and was laying behind the computer. So every time it was raining, water would flow through this huge hole and into the cab, behind the kick panel and computer, and accumulate by the passenger's right foot under the carpet.

I reinstalled the rubber cover, sprayed mold eliminator under the carpet and cleaned up everything that was covered with 'scum'. That fixed the problem and it has not happened since. That was 3 years ago. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Note: I never saw any water dripping from under the dash, like you indicated.

Good luck!

Bruce

Old Flyer

Reaction score
I had water on the passenger side floor a few years ago in my 99'. Seems the hose from the windshield washer container is routed through the floorboard area to feed the back glass washer, and it was leaking in the right floorboard area. Hint was that the washer fluid seemed to deplete faster than usual.

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score

I am having the same issue on my 2011 EL, did you find the problem? I took mine to the mechanic but they could not find anything wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik