2012 Expedition Alignment Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Have any copies of the alignment reports? What are they adjusting? Camber, toe? Knowing what part of the front end is out may help solve the issue

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CPage when I bought my 2005 (used in 2013 the steering wheel was turned to the right. I asked them to center the wheel. It turns out they had to send it to shop that specialized in alignments. They had to realign the Sub-frame (if I remember correctly) in order to get the wheel centered. After that I never had a problem with it.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say too, find a shop that only does alignments.

Not sure if its the same system, but on my 06 F150 I recently had it aligned, and took it to a specialty alignment shop. The guy recommended that cam washers be installed, which I did. Basically it locks the slot where the lower control arm mounts, so it cannot slide in the slot, unless the bolt is loosened.

A lot like this video:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is anyone have issues with their vehicle constantly being out of alignment? My 2012 Expedition XL will not stay in alignment. I have had this issue since I purchased it new. It is currently at the dealership, they have had it for THREE weeks and still can not figure out the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

3 weeks?

Sure bet they aint doing jack shit to it.

Even an amateur with proper tools and motivation can swap the entirety of the suspension in a day

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"free tires" sounds like "we knew this was a problem please don't sue us"

Free tires also sounds like "we bought them from Jose's Used Tires for 15 bucks a pop, after we charge you labor it's actually pretty darn profitable"

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More explanation would be helpful.

How did you know it was out-of-alignment?
How many times has the alignment been serviced at your dealer?
What was done each time it was serviced?
What has the service advisor told you is the reason they have kept your vehicle for three weeks?

Although not a Ford or an SUV, I had a friend that purchased a new Toyota Camry (never wrecked or damaged). The front end repeatedly wore out tires prematurely and had a slight pull to one side. Repeatedl trips to the dealer did not resolve the problem, until it was determined the front unibody dimensional specifications were not correct. The dealership speculated that the vehicle was ratcheted down too tight while being transported to the dealership when new, which caused the vehicle to not be aligned properly even when set to the alignment specifications.

Nothing shims or camber kits etc. can't fix if done THOROUGHLY

Unbelievable it took them soooo long to figure out the body was a tiny bit bent.... lazy ***** clearly didnt measure any of the wheels against each other, just angles to separate supposedly mirror-symmetrical reference points on the unibody

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They claim it is in alignment when I leave. Can't figure out why it won't stay.

Drive thyself directly to an alignment shop when you leave.

Just to take measurements.

Then come back a week or two later if first set of numbers checks out and matches dealer's

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stupid question, but have they bothered to check the upper and lower control arm bushings? If any of those are worn, you're going to have movement in the suspension parts and it's going to cause issues.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I leased a 2009 Lincoln MKZ. Driving home, day 1(4 mi on it) it pulled to the right. The smart ass, service manager insisted it was a "bad tire"(top of the line Michelin). I went back and tires were rotated(not given a receipt). Less than a mile after leaving, I made a U-turn and went back. The problem was still there. I was told an alignment could not be done until 500mi, because Ford would not pay for it. At 500mi the alignment was done and it was "out". Driving home, it was better, but still was pulling. I was given a loaner car and threatened them with a bad survey. The third time, they had there "best" tech, do the alignment. He found a bent control arm(on a brand new car). Always ask for the print out, with the alignment specs, after job is done.

Last edited: