2012 Expedition for the new guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoachAshley

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about trading in my beloved F-150 for a 2012 Limited Expedition. I am hesitant to do this because it has 60k miles, and I have never purchased a car with that many miles on it, my F-150 does not even have that much on it.

I want the expedition for work (basketball coach), and my growing family. It is a 2012 that is on sale for $20,***, it is a limited and has all the bells and whistles I want (mainly cooled seats, sunroof, and captain chairs).

My question is, am I safe purchasing an expedition with 60k miles on it? It has a clean car fax with one prior owner. I would love to hear thoughts from everyone on here, thank you.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Price seems reasonable. Is it 4X2 or 4X4? EL or regular length? Navigation? Rear DVDs?

If its second row captains, isn't that kind of against your reasoning for trade?

The cooled seats can be viewed as novelty item, we used ours frequently when new but couldn't tell you the last time they were on. Same with the moon roof. I probably use the power 1/4 windows more than either, go figure.

My 08 has similar mileage and has been an excellent vehicle with no trouble. There are plenty of trouble-free 2012's with north of 200K miles.

See if you can take the Expedition for the entire weekend. Pick it up today and return Monday with a decision. If the dealer isn't willing, move along. You probably like your F150 more than the dealer will since you called it beloved, so I'd consider not trading but selling it outright yourself. And along those lines of car buying 101, have the Expedition checked out by the mechanic of your choice.

We use to have a SuperCrew F150 that I put a fiberglass shell on. Made for a pretty good Expedition alternative...

Not trying to talk you out of it, but if you have to be talked into it, might not be meant to be.

OP
OP
C

CoachAshley

Reaction score
It is a 4x2, regular length, no navigation or rear DVD, which coincidently is fine with me, because I like putting in after market head units.

I don't have a good reason for the captain chairs, other than I love the style and look of them. My brother has one in his Toyota and I am a big fan of them. I don't think losing 1 seat is too big of an issue, especially when the boys I coach hate the middle seat anyway ha. I could try the weekend exchange, the only trouble is this expedition is a 2 hour drive from my house.

I am glad to see you say that there are plenty of expeditions with a lot of mileage on them. Before my F-150 I had never owned a Ford, so didn't know the longevity of them, although I have had zero problems with my truck.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about trading in my beloved F-150 for a 2012 Limited Expedition. I am hesitant to do this because it has 60k miles, and I have never purchased a car with that many miles on it, my F-150 does not even have that much on it.

I want the expedition for work (basketball coach), and my growing family. It is a 2012 that is on sale for $20,***, it is a limited and has all the bells and whistles I want (mainly cooled seats, sunroof, and captain chairs).

My question is, am I safe purchasing an expedition with 60k miles on it? It has a clean car fax with one prior owner. I would love to hear thoughts from everyone on here, thank you.
Welcome to the forum Coach. I traded in my 05 with 146 K miles on it and the engine and transmission were still going strong. I mainly got rid of it due to all of the rust, rockers, radiator supports etc which probably won't be a problem in your area. I would not be afraid of a truck with 60 K miles on it.

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Coach,

Seems like a pretty good deal. I bought mine w/ 80K and never thought twice about it. Does it have the HD tow package? That would be nice to have if you are trading in the F-150.

I think the captains seats are a great idea. It is a PITA to hop over to access the last row of seats.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heck I just bought an 08 with 100k on it. Runs like a top. It was about the lowest mileage one I could find at the time

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey fellow coach!

Welcome to the club.

I have owned 3 Expy's including my '17 and I've already got 23,300 miles on mine and I bought it last Nov. The '12 has the 5.4 right? I would check for oil weepage at the rear of both cylinder heads which might indicate a possible head gasket issue in the future but other than that, I think you are golden. A nice truck at a fair price....kinda hard to beat!

My '03 was retired with a slipping tranny at 170k but the '99 went to 228K before the body was rusted out.....either way, you've got a lot of miles between 60k and 170K!

jeff

PS, Brian is right...we don't tend to see used mid-model Expy's around here with such low miles. Most have 120K and up!

Greg S

Reaction score
Hey Coach! Welcome to the Forum.

I purchased a 2008 Expedition 2WD Eddie Bauer with only 62K miles about two years ago. It appeared to be extremely well taken care of and appeared free of any defects, and I was able to purchase it for $17.9K, which I felt was a great deal given its condition and low mileage. I traded in my 2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 with the Ecoboost, as I needed a vehicle with more seats for my growing family. After driving it for 2 years and almost 40K miles (I just turned 100K on it this past weekend), I can tell you that this is an AWESOME vehicle! I have performed the routine maintenance on it and do most of it myself (there's alot of information here on the Forum and elsewhere on how to fix common problems or perform maintenance, and many of the procedures are the same or similar between the Expedition and the F150...you can order parts online and take care of alot of these items if you have the time and are somewhat mechanically inclined), but otherwise I haven't had any issues. I have found this truck to be extremely reliable, rides very nice, has all of the creature comforts I want, and I don't miss my F150 at all...I missed having the open bed but bought an inexpensive utility trailer for those times I need it so that solved that problem. I tow our 5,000 pound travel trailer with it as well and it pulls the trailer with no problem (no HD tow package, although I did add a trailer brake controller and auxiliary transmission oil cooler to the truck). So to answer your question, I would have no hesitation with buying a 5 year old Expedition with 60K miles on it. There are many 5.4L V8 engines out there with well over 250K miles on it, so I'd say that the truck you're looking to buy is just getting broken in and I doubt you'll miss your pickup too much...I didn't. I like our Expedition so much that I'm already planning to buy another one when I retire this one in 5-7 years! Best of luck with your decision!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Mine has 175k mi on it.... i will *mega* pissed if it doesnt AT LEAST get me 250k before starting to become unreliable

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coach,

Seems like a pretty good deal. I bought mine w/ 80K and never thought twice about it. Does it have the HD tow package? That would be nice to have if you are trading in the F-150.

I think the captains seats are a great idea. It is a PITA to hop over to access the last row of seats.

Third gen captain chairs are 99% identical to the right and left parts of the "bench" with the middle pulled... sole difference is lacking the armrest