Random misfire no code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newcomb941

Reaction score
2014 expedition 5.4
Random hard misfire no cel hooked up my scanner to look at on board live test to look for misfires and of course cant get it to miss when I need it to anyone else having similar issues.
I had plugs replaced approximately 6000 miles ago and tried getting fuel from Multiple different places thinking fuel was the cause.

OP
OP
N

newcomb941

Reaction score
2014 expedition 5.4
Random hard misfire no cel hooked up my scanner to look at on board live test to look for misfires and of course cant get it to miss when I need it to anyone else having similar issues.
I had plugs replaced approximately 6000 miles ago and tried getting fuel from Multiple different places thinking fuel was the cause.
Also no stored codes

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well could be a coil, could be an injector. Tough to tell if it doesn't happen again or store a code.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
2014 expedition 5.4
What brand spark plugs and did you check the gap?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weird you would have no codes but if no check engine light, they have not reached a severe enough count. For my 2001, I have a Scangauge 2 with X gauge setup for mode 6 misfires and they get trapped no matter how subtle. the mode 6 counts seldom give a check engine light, or codes, even when they can be felt.

Mmart

Reaction score
Maybe check for any kind of fluid pooling on or around the coils and plug wells. I used to have a 2010 EB with 142k on it and a leaky coolant line is what started my misfire problem. It was sporadic at first then the line blew out and dumped a heavy dose of coolant onto the motor. I only had the coolant lines replaced, but I should have had the coils and plugs done at the same time. I didn’t want to put out the money to cover everything at once so I waited. Bad decision on my part. That led to a nightmare ride home from a fishing trip with half the engine cutting out on me if I didn’t accelerate slowly. Unfortunately even after getting new plugs n coils it never ran right again. I don’t know if it’s just coincidence or not but shortly after that I took it back to the shop and the diagnosis was I needed a timing job. I couldn’t justify it so I traded it in for a 2016.