2013 Navigator Engine Splash Shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoelover2002

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2013 Navigator L with the 5.3L Triton V8 and the last time it went into a dealership for a recall, the idiot technician ripped off the entire under side of the engine (splash shields, skid plates etc etc) and never put it back.....it was "misplaced". The service manager said he would replace everything however what their parts department ordered does not look like it fits correctly. I know the rear section was a metal skid plate that covered under the transmission to just in front of the engine but from the front of the engine to the large rubber mat or "air deflector" that is under the radiator (that the transmission lines pass through to go to the cooler) is not right. There is still a big gaping hole and they ordered this tiny plastic square piece and another rubber mat air deflector piece that is long and narrow with clips that twist off to allow access to the oil filter from the front of the motor. I do not see how it mounts or even covers the entire hole.

I wanted to see if anyone who has a 2007-2014 Expedition and/or Navigator (possibly an even newer year with the facelift 2015) could take a few pictures of the underside of their engine/radiator to show me what these pieces look like and what the parts department is missing. If there are part numbers or engineering number that would be even more helpful. The parts diagram that are showing me has no detail whatsoever. I think a kindergartener could have come up with a more detailed drawing.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love the same... My 07 didn't even come with those shields, though I can see where they mounted. I've been wanting to replace them.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL) using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to see a picture also to see if my new '07 is missing anything.

OP...that's what courts are for.

Brianstl

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 XLT 4x4 and looking underneath, I can not see any protection underside. Maybe it was the same mechanic. I went to the Ford dealer and they pulled up the same diagram by the unknown grade school student. I would like to order some type of protection for the engine. The first day I had it, one of the tranny lines had a leak, which the dealer covered, but had the line been protected, I think it would have been saved.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 XLT 4x4 and looking underneath, I can not see any protection underside. Maybe it was the same mechanic. I went to the Ford dealer and they pulled up the same diagram by the unknown grade school student. I would like to order some type of protection for the engine. The first day I had it, one of the tranny lines had a leak, which the dealer covered, but had the line been protected, I think it would have been saved.

There is nothing there from the factory. My 2014 is the same.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 3 rubber "air deflectors" on my 2013. The bottom one is referenced in the initial post and a pic of the one installed on my vehicle will follow below. There are 2 additional rubber deflectors that clip to either side of the radiator bracket and to the top of the header panel assembly (or whatever it's called). I'll comment the pics, as the angles and orientation might not be clear.

The original "air deflectors" were both torn at the clip that attaches to the top of the header panel. The replacement part number were 9L1Z-8311-A for the DRV side and BL1Z-8310-A for the PAS side. Vertical arrows indicate the top clips.

1.jpg

Here are the top mounting points where the originals tore.

DRV:
2.jpg

PAS:
3.jpg

Here's the DRV side replaced. There is nothing aside from the 3 clips to secure it so it's flapping around in the wind, which caused the first failure and will likely cause the replacement to tear.

4.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 2

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the PAS side replaced. The middle mounting bracket (circled) was broken so I used JB Weld Plastics Putty to reattach after a failed attempt with JB Weld Plastic Epoxy. Yes, it's painted black because it would bug the heck out of me even if I never see it again. The unsecured end fits neatly inside the grill grooves and the bottom clips (beneath the lower "air deflector") secure it in place, unlike toe DRV side.

5.jpg

Here are pics of the lower "air deflector" from above and below. PAS side lower mounting hole locations circled.

6.jpg

I drilled a new hole for that center clip because it didn't align with the frame.

7.jpg

I'm also leaving the upper radiator support cover off for a few days to see how the air pressure affects the newly installed "air deflectors".

Last edited:

Thom

Reaction score
dcsang, thank you for these detailed pics. I'm getting ready to replace both pass and drv sides and your pics will certainly help! Just curious, how long did your reinstalled deflectors last? Or are they still intact?

Last edited: