2013 XLT bubbling paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has yet to happen on my 2014. But it spent its first four years in South Carolina. Now 3 years in Massachusetts and still all good. My 2009 had this issue, which was a Massachusetts only truck. I had the hood and tailgate repainted, begin to happen again within a year and a half.

Reaction score
My 08 has this issue on hood and tailgate and am looking at replacing both. The problem I am seeing is that the 08 and 09 have different part numbers according to ford.

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score
I was at a CMA meeting today and bumped into a friend that I hadn't seen in a while. He restores cars, I told him about the problem with these aluminum panels. He knew what I was talking about the minute I mentioned it. He explained to me that it's the reaction between the steel and aluminum, similar to an outboard motor in salt water. He said he saw a big plow truck from NY ( lots of winter salt) the body was aluminum, he said there is a process, like zinc blocks on an outboard that eats the zinc rather than eating the aluminum. He wasn't sure what metal they used to stop the steel and aluminum reaction but that's what's happening. I may call a metallurgist to see if they could give me the solution. I'll let you know if I get any info. It may be as simple as a zinc or other metal washers installed on the bolts that secure the hood and lift gate.

Plati

Reaction score
I was at a CMA meeting today and bumped into a friend that I hadn't seen in a while. He restores cars, I told him about the problem with these aluminum panels. He knew what I was talking about the minute I mentioned it. He explained to me that it's the reaction between the steel and aluminum, similar to an outboard motor in salt water. He said he saw a big plow truck from NY ( lots of winter salt) the body was aluminum, he said there is a process, like zinc blocks on an outboard that eats the zinc rather than eating the aluminum. He wasn't sure what metal they used to stop the steel and aluminum reaction but that's what's happening. I may call a metallurgist to see if they could give me the solution. I'll let you know if I get any info. It may be as simple as a zinc or other metal washers installed on the bolts that secure the hood and lift gate.
Sounds like he's claiming its galvanic corrosion. I don't buy it but what do I know. I saw galvanic corrosion on my aluminum body snowmobile trailer ... where the aluminum was in contact with the steel suspension. That causes electrolysis where they are in contact.
Salt water is an electrolyte so that would speed up or enable the electrolysis but water is sufficient also because water in the road environment is not pure H2O, contains ions.

This paint bubbling is not where aluminum is in contact with steel, hence I don't buy galvanic corrosion.

There is another theory put forward by most people that it had something to do with the dies used to stamp the aluminum parts. Something about contamination from previous use stamping steel parts. I never really understood it and I don't buy that theory either.

As I said ... I dunno and I have never hear another scientist/person repeat my theory.

Hot water heaters and boats and many other things use sacrificial anodes of zinc in a manner that seems like what your friend relates. As far as I know they are not successfully used in vehicles although you can find some sales of things like that or adding a charge to the steel on a vehicle to prevent corrosion, which also is a trick to get your money IMHO.

I sanded off the hood on my 2003 (as in my pic) partly because so many people were claiming that without the protective coating of the paint it would corrode in the road salt spray environment in no time. Zero corrosion in 3 years. Plus I just like to play and have a good time and it seemed like fun!

Expy's have been known to have galvanic corrosion in parts associated with the radiator due to dissimilar metals in contact with each other but I don't know much about that since I've never had to deal with it.

I did some studying on this once since I'm very interested in corrosion. Bare aluminum will almost instantly form a thin protective layer of aluminum oxide when exposed to air. It's so thin you can't see it but it protects the aluminum under it. Thats why my 2003 never corroded where I sanded the paint off.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Here is an example of galvanic corrosion on my 2003 Expy. It's the heat shield from above the exhaust. See the two holes? Thats where steel bolts bolted the aluminum heat shield to the steel frame. Galvanic corrosion used up the aluminum leaving nothing and it fell off, no longer fastened on. .... where aluminum and steel were in contact.
IMG_2478.JPG

I'm not a chemist or metallurgist, but I did sleep in my 2014 Expy last night. LOL

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I wrapped it after sanding the panel and using a primer for oxidization and then a good paint, wouldn't the wrap and paints keep the aluminum from the elements. I haven't removed the interior panel and not sure if the inside of the panel is treated. If it isn't I would prime and paint that as well. I will never match the Kodiak brown metallic

The problem is under the paint, so regardless of what you put over it, the problem will persist.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score

Yup. I lost a $10k Mercruiser Bravo outdrive to electrolysis.
Dissimilar metals conducting electricity causes this corrosion. In particular aluminum (like my outdrive) and steel ( like my SS prop).
Once it’s in the metal you can’t get it out. Ask me how I know.

K9 Handler

Reaction score
How about using Zinc Chromate primer (if it's still available...it's pretty toxic). I had a 1971 Porsche that used it on some panels and wheels and had no issues. My 2013 Expy has edge of hood and rear hatch starting to bubble like the pictures.