2014 XLT with 22,500 on it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmden

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bought this rig last summer with 14K on it. This fall, seeminly when it started to cool, I noticed two things that I'm wondering about.

1) At approx 45F and cooler (gets more noticeable the colder it gets), immediately upon cold startup, there is a noise, somewhat like a whine or combination whine/whistle noise (hard to described adequately), that seems to be coming from the engine compartment. However, the odd thing is that when driving when it's cold, from the time it takes to shift from first to second (auto 6sp) the noise goes up in pitch, drops back down and goes back up in pitch 2-3 times before the shift into 2nd gear. From 2nd gear on up the noise goes up in pitch in concert with the rpms, drops at the next gear shift and then goes up, drops at the next shift, etc. etc. Noise is loud enough that people look at the rig like something is wrong with it...

2) About the same time I noticed the issue above, there's been a very consistent issue with startup where the engine almost dies, sputters, catches and then runs fine after that. This happens only under a certain set of circumstances which is when the rig has been run, then stopped for a couple hours or more (my impression is that it's still warm somewhat). When this is the case and I come back to start it, it will start up and then instantly almost die and sputter for a couple of seconds, catch and then run 'normally'.

I don't get a check engine light with either one of these things. I have not taken to the local auto parts store (need to) to plug in their code reader to see if anything shows up. I did have the rig into the dealer for this and a couple of other things and the tech found a tranny service bulletin about low speed operation (we did seem to have some rather harsh downshifting when coasting down a hill at low speed which seems to be better now). He put in a new part in the tranny and apparently reprogrammed it. But this had no effect on the two issues noted above. The rig will go back to the dealer soon and sit all night for them to start up cold and then try it a few hours later to further diagnose this.

Any ideas?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be an issue with the throttle body. Check the TPS voltage. And have someone work the pedal while you watch the voltage. It should be linear. You can also try cleaning the throttle body.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Will keep that in mind when it goes to the dealer next. When I cleaned the TB and the idle air control valve on my '97 Explorer, something the dealer never did, solved a problem that I'd had for years with it...a problem that the dealer never could figure out (or another shop) even though they had the rig for days and days.

Last edited:

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I have this same exact noise you are talking about on my 2003, I originally had thought it was a vacuum leak so I was going have my mechanic buddy check it out with me, I had work so I wasn't able to get around to it for about week or so and I ended up taking the truck to New Hampshire (even colder outside there) and when I got home after the weekend I had noticed that the truck has stopped making the noise like it had fixed itself. Idk if this will happen with yours but what u am trying to say is that it wasn't that big of problem for me and it did not effect driving at all. Also me and friend had an idea that it could be a small hole in the vacuum line or small leak somewhere that, when cold started, makes the whine noise until the engine heats up and the line bonds back together with heat. Once again I don't know if this the same situation with your truck but I do know that I went away on its own for me (it's still very cold out) and the truck runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
The whining I used to get from my 99 F150 was from the power steering. Whined for 4 years and never let me down once. Maybe I should pass this info on to the missus.:flamingdevil:

This is not a power steering issue. That's a much different noise presenting in a much different way.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
I believe I have this same exact noise you are talking about on my 2003, I originally had thought it was a vacuum leak so I was going have my mechanic buddy check it out with me, I had work so I wasn't able to get around to it for about week or so and I ended up taking the truck to New Hampshire (even colder outside there) and when I got home after the weekend I had noticed that the truck has stopped making the noise like it had fixed itself. Idk if this will happen with yours but what u am trying to say is that it wasn't that big of problem for me and it did not effect driving at all. Also me and friend had an idea that it could be a small hole in the vacuum line or small leak somewhere that, when cold started, makes the whine noise until the engine heats up and the line bonds back together with heat. Once again I don't know if this the same situation with your truck but I do know that I went away on its own for me (it's still very cold out) and the truck runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. This has been consistent for about 2 months now, so...