2015 EL dead door speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cilynx

Reaction score
I have a a new-to-me 2015 EL Limited w/ the Sony sound system and the driver's door woofer doesn't make any sound. All of the other speakers in the vehicle work fine. If I swap the driver and passenger door speakers, the driver's door stays dead. Both speakers work fine in the passenger door. Being that there's a single stereo signal from the head, dsp/amp in the back, said dsp/amp splits out the fronts and rears, and the rears work fine, the wiring between the head and the amp must be ok. I thought the amp might be bad, so I checked with another one from the same year/model and got the exact same behavior -- driver's door is dead. With a test tone playing, putting a DMM across the pigtail in the door, I get nothing at all -- it's an open circuit. Reseating the connectors at the amp doesn't help. Jiggling the harness in the door or back by the amp, I'm not finding anything obvious.

Assuming I haven't missed anything, does anyone know of any common locations between the dsp/amp and the driver's door woofer that the wiring gives up? I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of tearing apart my interior, unraveling the wiring bundles, and poking a bunch of holes in the speaker lines to find the break.

If I have missed something, I'd love to hear that this has an easy fix from someone in the know.

TIA!

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No specific expedition advice, but on other older vehicles I have had the wiring from the body to the door give up, usually on the drivers door first as it's used the most. Wires just work harden after years of flexing. That's the first spot I'd check anyhow.

OP
OP
cilynx

cilynx

Reaction score
For my future self and anyone else dealing with similar -- the wiring boot from the door enters the cabin under the parking brake pedal assembly because of course it does. This thread has the best instructions I've found for getting that assembly out of the way to be able to troubleshoot further.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani