2015 expedition heats up and smells like oil and gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jodikuntz

Reaction score
I have a new 2015 platinum expedition. The day I got it, it smelled really bad. I had my husband smell it and he said they must have spilled oil on the engine. Well today after driving it for about 5 minutes it heated up (although temp control says it was ok). I parked in the garage and 45 minutes later I went out and the entire garage stunk. The hood was throwing all kinds of heat and was really warm. Tonight my husband went out and pulled the dip stick. It was extremely light and smelled like oil and gas combined (smelled like a skidoo lol). Any thoughts as to what it could be?

dave91gt

Reaction score
Likely completely normal. New cars have assembly oils on just about everything and honestly, it just takes time to burn off. As far as the oil smelling like gas goes, it's common on ecoboost engines. I have 2 and they both do it. It is a result of direct injection technology. Congratulations btw. My wife and I are considering a 2015 as well.

Snomon

Reaction score
My 2015 did the same thing. Especially when parked in a garage it's noticeable. I thought it was from the exhaust "burning off". No smell now and I only have 200 miles on it.

birdyismydog

Reaction score
Don't take it to Ford dealer. They will charge you $98 to diagnose and then tell you some fairy tail that it's a maintenance item.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4WD. The vehicle had two miles on it at delivery, and now has 2,100 miles. There has been NO objectionable smell.

Return the vehicle to the dealer for inspection - especially for your concern about the oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger