2015 Expedition My Ford Touch to Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's going into a car that came with SYNC 2 then even the dealer will not be able to provision it using IDS because IDS will not have the files available for your VIN.
The only way a SYNC 3 for a SYNC 2 car can be provisioned is if you put in the new sync 3 unit in a car that came originally with SYNC 3 and after you providing it than you can install it.
A little complicated I know and THAT'S the reason why on the flex I went with a used SYNC 3.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Okay I understand now. I didn't know what was involved in provisioning. It makes sense. Too bad you can't upload the files from FORScan to the new unit.

flexitis

Reaction score
If you buy a used APIM you could do the AsBuilt yourself if you know what as built to use. The only problem will be if you buy a NEW APIM.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to use the APIM as-built from a comparable '16 or '17 easily enough. I don't see anything in the data that even seems to reference the VIN in the APIM.
Comparing a '17 to my '15 shows my APIM code ending at 7D0-04-02, while the '17 continued through 7D0-07-04. This is with actual FORScan saved files, not the Motorcraft data which is incomplete.

flexitis

Reaction score
You should be able to use the APIM as-built from a comparable '16 or '17 easily enough. I don't see anything in the data that even seems to reference the VIN in the APIM.
Comparing a '17 to my '15 shows my APIM code ending at 7D0-04-02, while the '17 continued through 7D0-07-04. This is with actual FORScan saved files, not the Motorcraft data which is incomplete.
That's what I did on my Flex.
Only thing to make sure is you use the APIM as built of a 4wd on a 4wd and a US truck from a US truck since the country code and drive type etc. is saved in the APIM.