2016 Ecoboost - Can these beasts use E85 fuel ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
I'm getting several 5 Star Tunes on an SCT X4 programmer and was wondering if our 3.5L Ecoboost engines can run on E85 Flex Fuel with a new tune.

I have not seen that as an option on 5 Star's website so I'm thinking it is not a standard tune option.

Right now I"ve ordered the 87 Performance, 87 Performance/Tow and 93 Performance/Tow tunes but additional tunes are cheap if I order them now.

OP
OP
PSD Bullitt

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
No, only the 5.4L Triton is E85 capable

That is too bad, I was hoping to get a good economy tune on E85 since it is much cheaper per gallon and from what I hear it can provide incredible performance results with a good tune.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is too bad, I was hoping to get a good economy tune on E85 since it is much cheaper per gallon and from what I hear it can provide incredible performance results with a good tune.

With a good tune and different injectors and a bunch of other parts.

Just because it is cheaper by the gallon does not mean much when your mpg drop by a larger percentage than the price difference.

Ethanol is nothing more than a subsidy to corn farmers.
Sure it has it’s place in true built cars for performance.
But nothing that can go between the two.

I ran E85 in my FlexFuel Explorer a few times just to see.
Regular 87 would get my 15mpg in that thing no matter what sort of driving.
E85 I got a rocking 8mpg. It was about 20% cheaper but ended up costing more barely could go 100 miles before having to fill up.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a good tune, you can better performance out pure gas.

The energy density of pure gas is higher than ethanol, which means when you mix gas and ethanol, that mixture will have less energy than the same measure of pure gas.

And, ethanol produces more 'greenhouse' gas than the same measure of gasoline, so its actually worse for the environment than pure gas, if you're into that sort of thing. Yes, your govt has been lying to you about this since it all started back in the '70s.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a good tune and different injectors and a bunch of other parts.

Just because it is cheaper by the gallon does not mean much when your mpg drop by a larger percentage than the price difference.

Ethanol is nothing more than a subsidy to corn farmers.
Sure it has it’s place in true built cars for performance.
But nothing that can go between the two.

I ran E85 in my FlexFuel Explorer a few times just to see.
Regular 87 would get my 15mpg in that thing no matter what sort of driving.
E85 I got a rocking 8mpg. It was about 20% cheaper but ended up costing more barely could go 100 miles before having to fill up.
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of subsidy.....

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't comment on E85, but I have the same tuner with 5 Star tunes.. I've settled on the 89 octane tow tune as my "all the time" tune, it had quite a bit more power than the 87 tow tune, and I tow at least every other weekend during the warm months. I hit 19lbs of boost pulling long hills and maintaining my speed.. When these are tuned they are real towing beasts.

I'm getting several 5 Star Tunes on an SCT X4 programmer and was wondering if our 3.5L Ecoboost engines can run on E85 Flex Fuel with a new tune.

I have not seen that as an option on 5 Star's website so I'm thinking it is not a standard tune option.

Right now I"ve ordered the 87 Performance, 87 Performance/Tow and 93 Performance/Tow tunes but additional tunes are cheap if I order them now.

OP
OP
PSD Bullitt

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
I can't comment on E85, but I have the same tuner with 5 Star tunes.. I've settled on the 89 octane tow tune as my "all the time" tune, it had quite a bit more power than the 87 tow tune, and I tow at least every other weekend during the warm months. I hit 19lbs of boost pulling long hills and maintaining my speed.. When these are tuned they are real towing beasts.

I was contemplating getting some 89 or 91 Tow tunes as well and you just talked me into it !!
Originally I was being conservative and figured the 87 would be adequate for my daily driving and when I wanted to get wild and spend a bunch more on gas I could go all the way up to the 93 Tune.
But at just $10 each with the original purchase of the programmer it makes sense to have all the options :)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It can be done. Guys have been doing it for years. Livernoise provides a fuel pump and tuning to make it work.

Also I suggest you find one tune and stick with it. Every time you change the tune your ecm pretty much resets everything. All your fuel trims and trans settings will have to be relearned which takes 100 or so miles of driving. I only ran 93 in my 17 limited so I only had the 93 performance and 93 performance tow. If you only plan on running 87 then stick with those tunes. Whatever you do don’t run the 93 tunes because if you do you won’t wanna run anything else. The ecoboost loves 93 octane and when tuned it will really put you back in the seat