2016 Expedition with Satellite, Nav?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CFlow07

Reaction score
A limited with Sync 3 and no NAV

That seems odd to me
I though so too. But when the dealer looked at my VIN it said everything Minus Nav. I wonder if a SD card with MAPS would update it? I will know more when Im home and can look at the Current APIM.

OP
OP
C

CFlow07

Reaction score
The APIM is different between NAV and non-NAV SYNC 3 units. So it’s not just a software update.
According to the Ford 2016 brochure, Limited’s came with SYNC 3 without NAV, it was an optional or part of the 301A package.
You can find NAV APIMs for sale, but they’ll also require reprogramming to your as-built data. There are people that do it, I just don’t recall specifically where off the top of my head.
The big question is whether factory NAV is worth the cost versus just using Android Auto or CarPlay for navigation purposes.

Thanks for the Clarification. So more than likely it was the non-nav version. I picked up an APIM for 200.00 just need to program it to my vin. If you you know how to or know who can do it please forward the info.

OP
OP
C

CFlow07

Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Expedition EL with sync 3 and no Nav. I did all the research and decided to go the Carplay route since I have an iPhone. You need to update sync 3 to version 2.2 (mine was still on version 1). If you use an iPhone, you also need to buy the updated usb ports for carplay which was like $75 at the local Ford dealer. Once I did all that, I use maps app from my phone.

The Carplay is located in the Center Console correct?

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the Clarification. So more than likely it was the non-nav version. I picked up an APIM for 200.00 just need to program it to my vin. If you you know how to or know who can do it please forward the info.

If you get FORScan and an OBDII adapter, you can do it yourself.
Also, here’s the official Ford statement on upgrading to V2.2 and adding CarPlay and Android Auto support. You can get the USB hub online for much cheaper than your dealer likely will charge for it.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...tware-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, How do I do that? Also. I read on the F150 forums some had fried their APIMs when the upgraded to Sync 3 v 2.2 Right now I have Sync vs 1.0

I’m not sure I kind of hate sync, on SD if I go into the screen there is a services button that goes to navigation, they are all different so who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CFlow07

Reaction score
OP
OP
C

CFlow07

Reaction score

N9JIG

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Vankonk! I only wish I could use Waze through the car play apps. I'm glad you were able to update your module. I really like the Sync 3 system.

Somewhere on here there is a whole thread about updating the USB ports, one of the members even posted a video.

Here it is: http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ford-sync-upgrade-from-v1-0-v2-2.31947/#post-262503

I did the change out and it took almost 3 minutes. The dealer wanted to charge me a labor fee to update the firmware but I had already completed that myself.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't imagine ever paying for navigation in a car again. I simply tell my cell phone, driving directions to the nearest bar. Hit start and listen to the directions. I bet their maps are updated daily.