2016 Limited short wheel base 100,000K check in/report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tristar

Reaction score
Hi
I just joined....this is my first post.

This is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I would have gotten the V8 had one been available. Have been waiting for turbo problems since I bought the vehicle, but fingers crossed, none yet. I’ve done oil changes by the oil % gauge, about every 9,000 miles. Ford filter and oil.

The factory Hankook’s only lasted 44,000 miles. I replaced with Michelin’s and at 56,000+ miles they appear to be only about half worn out. Amazing.

The vehicle has the original brakes. The rear pads are at about 25%, the fronts at 35%. Not sure why the rear is more worn. I’ve never had brakes last this long on any vehicle I have ever owned. I have soft feet, but my wife drove this for about 60,000 miles and I’m very surprised at the life of these pads.

There was a recall on the front blower motor and the rear blend door, but both were working when replaced. I did experience the dreaded lug nut issue.

The passenger side running board actuator failed at about 95,000 miles. I found an aftermarket one for $218 ($940 from Ford!!) and replaced it myself, saving about $1,000 (no labor cost). It was an easy job.

Early on, we had some problems with the screen locking up. I think we were trying to connect phones and make changes before the system was totally booted up. We learned to wait 30 seconds or a minute and haven’t had any more of those issues.

It has the original water pump and coolant. Since the coolant is due to be changed, I’m debating changing the pump proactively (we live in Georgia, its very hot in the summer), flushing the fluid, and putting on a new belt. The sealed transmission has the original fluid and has always shifted a little “hard,” I've debated changing the fluid early (its recommended at 150k) I just changed the plugs, and the factory ones had some coking and the gap was a little big but overall they looked good. I’ve debated changing the brake fluid.

Any opinions anyone has on the water pump/coolant/belt and brake fluid, and anything else, is appreciated. I’ve seen some posts about differential so should probably service that also? I’ve never towed and have never had it on a boat ramp.

Overall, this is a great vehicle. It is quiet and smooth (except for the occasional hard shift) and very comfortable. My son and I just drove it 1,100 miles and it was a pleasant trip.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Everything you said plus a tranny fluid & filter change, and A/C service. Oil change intervals are a personal preference, and I stick to 5k miles for my 2016 Limited.

Reaction score
Sounds like you've have a good experience! We purchased our 2016 at 65K miles. We have been very please with it so far (95k now). We did have the limp mode issue with the throttle body/ or TB actuator or whatever that common problem is. I'm fairy certain that is why we got such a good deal on this vehicle, I don't think the seller knew that the issue was a cheap fix!
That all being said, you didn't mention that you have experienced that issue (yet) so you might look into that as a pre measure.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My water pump is rattling badly at 146,000. I was so relieved when I found out because I thought my timing chain was failing. I suggest shortening the oil changes intervals a bit. These engines are known for thinning out the oil. It is cheap insurance. My test results always came back as still good using the OLM, but supposedly Blackstone's fuel dilution measures aren't all that accurate.

OP
OP
T

Tristar

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for those replies. Sounds like I need to do more frequent oil changes and sounds like it is time for some preventive maintenance.

abnmike

Reaction score
I’d change transmission fluid and filter. Pretty easy. I just did mine (new to me w/144k). Fluid was old but didn’t smell.

I also swapped out my pan for one with a drain plug. I’m going to run another 5k miles and drain and fill again.

There’s videos on how to do it. Running aluminum foil over the back keeps your fluid in your drain pan.

jonnyquid

Reaction score
2015 Expy Limited. We bought it i cant remember, 60K Miles or something December 2020.
*limp mode issue with the throttle body - happened to us last summer
*Rear Blend Door Replaced 3 months ago, Dash Blend Door Replaced Spring 21.
*Coil Pack went out on the interstate in fall of 21 as well.
*Right now it is in the shop for a $1500 bill for evaporator replacement to get the AC going again.

Cant wait to put money in it for something cool like tires, or a lift!

tacoduck

Reaction score
S
2015 Expy Limited. We bought it i cant remember, 60K Miles or something December 2020.
*limp mode issue with the throttle body - happened to us last summer
*Rear Blend Door Replaced 3 months ago, Dash Blend Door Replaced Spring 21.
*Coil Pack went out on the interstate in fall of 21 as well.
*Right now it is in the shop for a $1500 bill for evaporator replacement to get the AC going again.

Cant wait to put money in it for something cool like tires, or a lift!
i just had a coil pack go out on a road trip last week. Made it home with a CEL but I was defiantly down a cylinder.

OP
OP
T

Tristar

Reaction score
So I ended up changing both belts, the coolant (and pressure check), the transmission fluid and filter, engine oil and filter, and serviced the diff.

Left the old water pump and t-stat, fingers crossed on those.

I rechecked all my receipts, and I had to change the rear blend and mode doors at 78, 700 miles, this was in addition to the few other things that I have had to do to his vehicle.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
100,000 miles??:Pshyco: 248,*** here and counting, same water pump, same tranny...:rocking:

I change tranny fluid evey 50k, front and rear diff every 80-100k, coolant every 2 years regardless of miles, synthetic 5w 30 every 5k.

On my second muffler, replaced exhaust manifolds at 225,*** after pulling a heavy trailer from Illinois to Florida. Just drove up to norther WI to tow my boat down to Florida with 240,*** miles no oil consumption no hiccups.

Knocking on wood!