2016 Shortie Limited Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We recently bought a 2016 shortie Limited. Did these come with any type of load leveling suspension. If so, I would I know if ours has it? We don't tow anything with this truck so I never really bothered to check into it b4 we bought it.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nivomat self-leveling rear struts were optional on 2016's.

Unless you are looking at a Nivomat and standard strut side by side, they are kind of hard to tell apart.

If you can see the part number sticker, a standard Ford strut part number will begin with AL1Z. The Nivomat will begin with EL1Z.

If you happen to have OEM polished 22 wheels, you likely have CCD (continuously controlled damping) suspension. In that case, the rear strut will start with part number FL1Z and it will have a decent sized electrical box of sorts attached to it with a wiring harness plugged into it.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, 3 different variants, but yes you do have rear load leveling as the result of CCD.

One way to look at it, the Nivomat mechanically provides load leveling, the CCD does too but electronically.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flex - I have the CCD and it does not do any load leveling, it only provides the three levels of suspension - comfort, normal, and sport. There was a thread on this a while back I think. I wish it did but I can assure you with my camper attached there is no leveling taking place. Weight distributing hitch takes care of most of it. To the OP - if you are towing with the CCD, the NORMAL setting seems to provide the best ride. Sport makes it too stiff when towing.