2017 dome defeat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in a rented 2017 EX EL. Is it possible to defeat, disable or override the dome light and map lights with door ajar? In my 08 escape and '98 explorer I could roll the dimmer down past zero. I checked the manual and I don't see it. I see that you can trigger the dome by depressing the [+] side of illumination dimmer. I don't see anything else.

Is this now only available with "police dark car mode" with Forscan?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sadly there is not a switch to turn off the dome light. This makes drive ins a pain. You can disable the cargo light in the back, it has a 3 position switch on the light itself. After 10 minutes with the vehicle off ,the dome lights will turn off on their own as part of the battery saver, but opening a door resets the timer again.

You can also slide a screw driver or small wood dowell into the door latch to trick it into thinking it's closed. Just remember to pull the handle to release it before closing the door.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Dark mode works well. You can use the dimmer switch to enable the lights when needed.

OP
OP
T

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought so. I'll give it a go.
I wasn't sure if there was a magic incantation that could be done without it. Like cycling the ignition and tapping switches in succession.

Last edited:

russg1

Reaction score
Do the first generation Expeditions have a dark mode . My 2003 dash lights are dark unless I turn up the dimmer switch. Then the dome lights come on. Unless I turn the dimmer switch completely off the dome lights come on and stay on after I turn the key off .

OP
OP
T

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the first generation Expeditions have a dark mode . My 2003 dash lights are dark unless I turn up the dimmer switch. Then the dome lights come on. Unless I turn the dimmer switch completely off the dome lights come on and stay on after I turn the key off .

@russg1. does it stay on for 10-12 minutes after locking up too?

Let me know how Dark Mode works out for you. If it just allows turning the interior lights off when ya want them off -- and doesn't default to off I'll be looking at it too.

-- Chuck

@chuck
I'll try to get jy Elm327 to read. It didn't work the other day. Perhaps it wouldn't connect to my laptop b/c I last used it with my phone.

I'll try today and report back.

OP
OP
T

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update. I was able to get my laptop to pair with the bafx Elm327 this afternoon.

I turned off Acm bluetooth, vehicle wifi, and my phone. I also unpaired and repaired the with my phone.

I enabled "dark car" on the bdycm. However, the map and dome still come on with vehicle off and door ajar. I think I missed something.