2017 EL Limited, water in doors (safe to leave the plugs out?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night vision

Reaction score
I found the solution from reading some older posts on the forum and pulled the plugs but never got a general consensus on leaving the eight plugs out (two on each door).

I heard the sloshing sound and pretty much ignored it for a while. I didn't get any water out when I pulled them, I think they slowly drained on their own...but is there a fix for this? No other vehicle I've owned seemed to retain this much water.

So other than dirt and dust and maybe the occasional spider getting in there, is there any reason to have them in at all?

Thanks!

Phil

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
Yes you can leave them out. You can stick a screwdriver up the hole and move it around a bit to move dirt out of the way and let them drain.

muskytom

Reaction score
Agreed. Prior to installing speakers in my doors, i had the what sloshing sound which freaked me out (they did drain on their own). When I installed my speakers and before doing the wax sealant and sound deadening material, I thoroughly cleaned, vacuumed and blew out the debris, which included small leaves! Leaving them out as they're too restrictive and a rust maker.

OP
OP
night vision

night vision

Reaction score
Agreed. Prior to installing speakers in my doors, i had the what sloshing sound which freaked me out (they did drain on their own). When I installed my speakers and before doing the wax sealant and sound deadening material, I thoroughly cleaned, vacuumed and blew out the debris, which included small leaves! Leaving them out as they're too restrictive and a rust maker.
I’m not really sure of the decision from their engineering team. I’d rather have dust than a rusted out door. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was driving today and noticed the wind noise from the poor weather strips. I can’t imagine how a four year old vehicle has such poor quality insulation. My wife’s 2013 Avalon Limited is quieter.

Oh well! I do love my newer Expedition though.