2017 Exp. EL Limited-Ride problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Def take a look at your tire pressure and make sure shocks are still good. The ltds on 20s tend to ride on the firm side but it should still be wholly comfortable.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015-17 XLT trucks have 18-inch wheels standard. Bigger wheels typically make it easier to feel all the little bumps in the road. The smoothest ride can be found in trucks with CCD suspension set to "Comfort."

When I was looking for my current truck, I test drove a '13 EL Limited with 20-inch wheels, Pirelli 275/55 R20 tires (didn't get the exact model of tire) and rear load-leveling suspension. I was shocked that it rode almost as nice as later model trucks with CCD suspension.

If i can remember correctly, the 3rd gen expys and navis upon release(w/air suspension) in 06 had one of the best rides of any suv. Because of this unfortunately, ford spent the least time on the ride as time went on and now, its kinda average compared to newer suvs outside of its class.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If i can remember correctly, the 3rd gen expys and navis upon release(w/air suspension) in 06 had one of the best rides of any suv. Because of this unfortunately, ford spent the least time on the ride as time went on and now, its kinda average compared to newer suvs outside of its class.

Air suspension has not been a thing in MANY years on the Expy.

The recent load leveling shocks are NivoMat auto leveling shocks with no electronics, I like them.

The CCD completely replaces the shocks. Springs are the same. It just tightens or loosens the valving via electronics. Kinda like that found in the Mustangs.

Ford had the superior ride because of independent rear vs GM. With the newest release recently by GM, that advantage is gone.

Again, 17 EL with factory 20’s and regular tires with proper pressure should not act as the OP described. He has an issue, either strut, or tire pressure most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for the advice. Bought my wife a 2017 Expedition EL with the XLT trim about a year ago. It was a year old, had been an Enterprise fleet vehicle so it had a lot of miles, (therefore I was able to get a really good deal). The drive and ride was great, handled better than any expedition we had before (we had 4 over the last 10 years). Problem was, since it was an XLT it didnt have many of the things she wanted and was used to having with the others (leather seats, heated seats, sunroof, remote start, etc.). So for Christmas I went to the dealership, found a 2017 EL Limited that was the same color and had almost the exact same mileage as the XLT she already had, the Limited was in beautiful shape and had new michelins on it, but most important had all of the bells and whistles she wanted. Now I'm hoping I can get some good information from the years of experience and knowledge this forum has.
PROBLEM: After driving the XLT she had for almost a year, then going into the Limited we got a big surprise, the ride wasn't as good and there is a rebound anytime you are driving at speed and hit a bump.We were driving last night 55 MPH on the highway, hit a bump on the right side( looked like maybe a buckle in the asphalt) and the rebound was so bad it almost moved me into the other lane. I know this isn't normal. Just wondering if this could be a bad strut or maybe something else. I know that this Limited should ride and drive at least as good as the XLT if everything was right. I appreciate the help.
Could be alignment issue regarding it jumping all over the road when you hit a bump. I wouldn't expect 20" to be as comfortable ride as 18".

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air suspension has not been a thing in MANY years on the Expy.

The recent load leveling shocks are NivoMat auto leveling shocks with no electronics, I like them.

The CCD completely replaces the shocks. Springs are the same. It just tightens or loosens the valving via electronics. Kinda like that found in the Mustangs.

Ford had the superior ride because of independent rear vs GM. With the newest release recently by GM, that advantage is gone.

Again, 17 EL with factory 20’s and regular tires with proper pressure should not act as the OP described. He has an issue, either strut, or tire pressure most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2013 was the last yr of the air suspension, which was the yr star was referring to. And speaking of air, the 21 yr gms only leveled the field with theirs and gained it by offering air.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like air suspension because they don't feel it's reliable, but it really does offer an amazing ride. I remember test driving a 2006 2nd Gen Expy with 4-corner air and it was SMOOTH.

I drove Ford Panthers (Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic) for 10 years before getting my first Expedition. The Town Car had air springs in the rear as standard equipment. Once more affordable replacement parts became available, working on them was much easier. What most people don't know is the air springs (not air "bags" as so many like to call them) are rubber and only last about 5 years or 80,000 miles on average before they start developing cracks. These appear first in areas where the springs are folded making them difficult to detect. If you replace them regularly, however, the system should be pretty reliable. I never once replaced a compressor on any of my Town Cars and my last one was 15 years old and had over 120K miles on it when I traded it for my first Expy. (I know that would be considered relatively low mileage for a typical Expedition LOL).

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like air suspension because they don't feel it's reliable, but it really does offer an amazing ride. I remember test driving a 2006 2nd Gen Expy with 4-corner air and it was SMOOTH.

I drove Ford Panthers (Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic) for 10 years before getting my first Expedition. The Town Car had air springs in the rear as standard equipment. Once more affordable replacement parts became available, working on them was much easier. What most people don't know is the air springs (not air "bags" as so many like to call them) are rubber and only last about 5 years or 80,000 miles on average before they start developing cracks. These appear first in areas where the springs are folded making them difficult to detect. If you replace them regularly, however, the system should be pretty reliable. I never once replaced a compressor on any of my Town Cars and my last one was 15 years old and had over 120K miles on it when I traded it for my first Expy. (I know that would be considered relatively low mileage for a typical Expedition LOL).
Had an airbag on a Continental explode at the most inopportune (or most opportune) time. We lived in a rural Virginia bedroom community near D.C. during the time of the DC sniper. My kid was in elementary school, and most kids were dropped off by parents in the morning...that process was led by the school principal who was a really nice lady that personally kept Omar the Tentmaker in business. The cars were met at the curb by the principal or vice principal who opened the door and welcomed every kid to school with a 'Good Morning, XXXX!".

On that fateful day, right as she was pulling the door open on my car, the right-rear airbag let go. It literally sounded like a mortar round impacting. It scared the crap out of me, and the poor curbside crew nearly fainted...either from the shockwave or the wave of fear...as everyones' thoughts immediately went into "SNIPER" mode. Chaos ensued.

Poor Bob....sitting in the drivers seat, sensing that weird sensation of the back-end rapdily dropping 4-5 inches as the body set down on the frame, watching teachers and students running wildly around looking for cover. I drove slowly around to the parking lot in what felt like a wagon (no suspension at all), parked, and was immediately greeted by several sheriffs' deputies who, by all accounts, didn't seem too happy.

My son? Third grader who thought it was the funniest thing to ever happen at school.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like air suspension because they don't feel it's reliable, but it really does offer an amazing ride.

I had to hunt around for my truck for this exact reason; I wanted a loaded Platinum without CCD. They exist, truck just had to come with 20s from the factory, not the 22s.

I'm not totally against CCD, I just had a bad taste in my mouth after my last truck. I had a 2002 Escalade, which rode decent overall...(REALLY good for a body on frame truck). But that was after I replaced each shock which were GM's "autoride" electronic and the rears which were autoride + air ride. All 4 shocks and rebuilding the air pump was easily $2500. (and that was doing the work myself) The whole autoride system just seemed over-engineered....the fact that a small metal bracket (which was as thin as a iphone cable) could snap and break the whole system seemed idiotic to me.

Now I flip side, I replaced all 4 struts with OEMs in my 2016 Expy for under $1000. Also splurged and put on 4 new Michelin Defender LTXs...smooth as butter.

OP: I would be taking a solid look at struts...that kind of response to the road doesn't sound normal.

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had an airbag on a Continental explode at the most inopportune (or most opportune) time...

In this day and age, that would be terrible! But, that was a pretty funny story. LOL :)

I wanted a loaded Platinum without CCD...

I hear you, I was worried about the cost of replacements, too. I checked into it and found out they cost roughly $700 per strut. Thankfully these are fairly standard on 2015+ Navigators, otherwise they would be a rare option and even more pricey. My brother used to own a Mercedes where the combo air + electronic damping struts were $2000 each. Ouch!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I ordered my first Expedition in '07 at a small, now defunct, Ford dealer in Cleveland. It was ordered specifically for occasionally towing my 6000 pound travel trailer and between me, the salesman, and service manager they were able to tweak the option codes (I think they went into the fleet or LEO option lists for the special order) to get what I wanted. This was confirmed somewhat when I picked up the truck and it was in the lot with several just delivered police cars and SUVs. The air suspension was specifically avoided. Basic truck was an XLT with off-road and HD tow. I recall it took 10 weeks for the order. 175,000 miles and 10 years of good service. Rode like a Town Car and towed like a F150.

Entirely different experience with the '17. It was already on the dealer's lot. And it lacks the air suspension as well.

-- Chuck