2017 Expedition Limited 13K and Torque Converter Shudder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 Limited Expedition built Feb. 2017 (2WD) Greeted me at my return to Pensacola Airport last night at midnight after 2 weeks sitting. Unfortunately after about a mile of slow driving away from the parking lot got the first shudder, seeming to feel it was kicking out of gear (it was in Drive position for shifter). Then in short order it continued to shudder. At that point (even my wife noticed something totally wrong, we had been travelling much of the day coming from Utah and were tired), we were both worried given the time of night and we were 40 miles from home, now nearing 1 am. Even though the engine had been running long enough to warm up feathering the gas pedal did nothing to help so I pulled it into Manual and dropped the gear to 4th and that stopped the shuddering and I gradually brought it up to 6th then over to Drive at about 60 mph.
After that it ran home ok on I-10 with no further incidents. Went out this am to check the transmission fluid and Much to my surprise there no longer is a Dipstick for checking transmission fluid so I could discuss issue with a bit more intelligence with my local Ford dealer who has handled all of the two motor oil changes to date-13K miles total. As most of you veteran Expedition owners knew long ago (stupid I did not), Ford junked the Dipsticks (except in the mechanical department to save perhaps $1.50 per $62,000 vehicle) as any manufacturer knows owners are too dumb to attempt to understand the process.
So I called the dealership and was told that as of today (12/31/18) they have no shop time available to schedule till 1/18/19!!!! However if I left the truck some unknown days they can try to squeeze it in (wonder how long a Torque Converter replacement takes?).
I have spent the last several hours researching this website on the topic but most Expeditions discussed are much older and way more than my 13K miles, so if any of you folks have a newer unit with a similar problem please call out! (oddly this seems to be a relatively common problem on the 2018 10 speeds than later 3rd gen 6 speed trucks on this site). Ford did not seem to have a relevant TSB on 3rd Gens with this issue either, but I doubt I am the only one that could have this problem.
HELP!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t offer you much, this issue of shuttering and rumble strips was seen occasionally on 07-08’ 6R75 Expedition transmissions as well as some early 6R80 transmissions. Was usually solved with a transmission fluid change (worn friction modifier) and or a misfire fix.

Can’t recommend this for your 17’ as it’s a different powertrain and transmission altogether than the earlier 3rd gens. We try to separate the 07-14 and 15-17 trucks and not mix match common fixes and repairs. Too many differences, I’d bet your dealer will be your best bet. Unless another 15-17 owner has experienced the same and can help...

Rumble strip and shutters from the transmission could be caused by misfires on earlier 3rd gens (worn plugs, bad coils). I’m not sure if the ecoboost and it’s transmission would act up from misfires the same.....again different trucks with different symptoms when something’s wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 Limited Expedition built Feb. 2017 (2WD) Greeted me at my return to Pensacola Airport last night at midnight after 2 weeks sitting. Unfortunately after about a mile of slow driving away from the parking lot got the first shudder, seeming to feel it was kicking out of gear (it was in Drive position for shifter). Then in short order it continued to shudder. At that point (even my wife noticed something totally wrong, we had been travelling much of the day coming from Utah and were tired), we were both worried given the time of night and we were 40 miles from home, now nearing 1 am. Even though the engine had been running long enough to warm up feathering the gas pedal did nothing to help so I pulled it into Manual and dropped the gear to 4th and that stopped the shuddering and I gradually brought it up to 6th then over to Drive at about 60 mph.
After that it ran home ok on I-10 with no further incidents. Went out this am to check the transmission fluid and Much to my surprise there no longer is a Dipstick for checking transmission fluid so I could discuss issue with a bit more intelligence with my local Ford dealer who has handled all of the two motor oil changes to date-13K miles total. As most of you veteran Expedition owners knew long ago (stupid I did not), Ford junked the Dipsticks (except in the mechanical department to save perhaps $1.50 per $62,000 vehicle) as any manufacturer knows owners are too dumb to attempt to understand the process.
So I called the dealership and was told that as of today (12/31/18) they have no shop time available to schedule till 1/18/19!!!! However if I left the truck some unknown days they can try to squeeze it in (wonder how long a Torque Converter replacement takes?).
I have spent the last several hours researching this website on the topic but most Expeditions discussed are much older and way more than my 13K miles, so if any of you folks have a newer unit with a similar problem please call out! (oddly this seems to be a relatively common problem on the 2018 10 speeds than later 3rd gen 6 speed trucks on this site). Ford did not seem to have a relevant TSB on 3rd Gens with this issue either, but I doubt I am the only one that could have this problem.
HELP!
Ok, drove it to the dealer today, truck repeated shuddering several times on the 2 mile drive. They confirmed they had an 18 day service backlog and offered 0 sympathy. We will see it their attitude improves any, salesman offered to intervene if they do not at least get me a date in a few days. It is hard to believe that this is the only 3rd Gen Expedition with this issue. I have a feeling that when they get around to checking the transmission fluid-since the shuddering seems worse going around a turn-that issue is either fluid level or something causing fluid to starve-however since Ford saves a few pennies on eliminating the trans dipstick there is no way for the consumer to do even this simple check!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sudden onset of your symptoms points more towards a bad coil than a tranny issue, also by the intermittent nature of the symptom. Do you have a scanner (a good one) that can show you total misfires per cylinder? It takes a large number of misfires before the CEL comes on.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sudden onset of your symptoms points more towards a bad coil than a tranny issue, also by the intermittent nature of the symptom. Do you have a scanner (a good one) that can show you total misfires per cylinder? It takes a large number of misfires before the CEL comes on.

OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a scanner, probably should but impact of shudder is pretty severe so it is certainly possible in being a bad coil but I cannot figure out how taking it out of Drive to M cured it the other night. Any idea how common bad coils are with 3rd Gen Expeditions?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a scanner, probably should but impact of shudder is pretty severe so it is certainly possible in being a bad coil but I cannot figure out how taking it out of Drive to M cured it the other night. Any idea how common bad coils are with 3rd Gen Expeditions?
Haven't heard much on this forum about systemic coil failures on '17s or early failures like yours, if it is a coil thats bad.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A coil misfire will be a lot more noticeable in higher gear or overdrive gears. But if its that bad the check engine light should have been flashing.

You should go ahead and get a scan tool as they are available online from china for under 20.00
Always nice to have a good idea where to start looking.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to exceed the PT warranty at 57,000 miles and haven't felt what you're experiencing and I think it might be a first, if indeed the tranny is bad so please post back.

(I)Enquiring minds want to know!

jeff