2017 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ltharley

ltharley

Reaction score
@jrc50,
Congratulations on the Limited.
Have you tried the Progressive Range Selection (PRS) for the transmission. Sounds like a perfect solution for you.
Dennis

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try using Tow/Haul mode. I climb a steep hill (with a switchback) to get home and my '17 lugs down very badly in Normal mode. Yet, in Tow/Haul it shifts almost perfectly all the way up the hill.

We used to have an Explorer but rented an Acadia for a month while it was being repaired after someone hit us. The Acadia was roomier (it was a long wheelbase Limited model) and had a smoother ride, and I liked the HUD, but we still missed our Explorer. The drivetrain, fit/finish, and interior design of the Ford won hands down. And, don't even get me started about GM's Navigation system. Even Ford's older MyTouch was *much* more intuitive and easy to use. The GM system was beyond frustrating.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dennis I am not familiar with PRS how do you access it? Thanks
Star-art, I will try tow mode, Thanks

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried the +/- buttons on the shifter but found it to be unhelpful. On our explorer, pushing those buttons forced an up-shift/down-shift and then, after that, the transmission continued to shift normally. (We also had paddle shifters on the steering column.)

On the Expedition, however, using the "-" button simply locks out the uppermost gear. Thus, if you are currently in 6th, it forces a down-shift to 5th. BUT, with that said, the truck will *not* up-shift again to 6th unless you then press the "+" button and "unlock" it. If you press "-" again it forces you down another gear and so forth. You can see the available gears in the left hand instrument cluster display.

I find it much easier to use Tow/Haul because it's one button press and I get the behavior I want (delayed up-shifts) without fiddling with anything else.

OP
OP
ltharley

ltharley

Reaction score
@jrc50,
This is from the online owners manual:
Progressive Range Selection (PRS)
Progressive Range Selection gives you the ability to lockout gears from the automatic shifting range. This may provide you with an improved driving experience (for example, in slippery conditions or when experiencing a steep grade).
With the gearshift lever in drive (D), press the – button to active PRS. The available and selected gears are indicated on the instrument cluster.
All available gears will display with the current gear indicated. Press the – button again to lock out gears beginning with the highest gear. Example: press the – button twice to lock out 6th and 5th gears. Only the available gears will display and the transmission will automatically shift between the available gears. Press the + button to unlock gears to allow the transmission to shift to higher gears. The transmission will shift automatically within the gear range you select.
I really haven't had the chance to use it much but in heavy stop and go traffic i have locked out 4,5,&6. Transmission still shifts through the remaining years but basically helps with engine braking.
that said, star-art might have a better solution, using towing mode. Here that info from manual:
Tow/Haul Mode
WARNING
Do not use the tow/haul feature when driving in icy or slippery conditions as the increased engine braking can cause the rear wheels to slide and your vehicle to swing around with the possible loss of vehicle control.
imagen2.dll
To activate tow/haul, press the button on the gearshift lever once. The TOW HAUL indicator light will illuminate in the instrument cluster.
The tow/haul feature:
  • Delays upshifts to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.
  • Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which will slow your vehicle and assist you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.
  • Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow/haul.
To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the gearshift lever twice. The TOW HAUL light will deactivate. Tow/haul will also deactivate when you power down your vehicle.
Hope this helps.
Dennis

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dennis
Thanks for the input, I did not notice that procedure while briefly reviewing the manual, I am used to seeing a separate Tow/Haul button on the console but we do not tow so I did not notice it missing yet!

Bmoe

Reaction score
Bmoe, I just NOTED the mileage. Very nice purchase.
Dennis
Thanks, I love it. Runs great and handle the snow well. My wife wanted a car she can drive in the winter and we just got her a Lincoln MKX 2014 and only had just over18,500 miles.

She's very happy

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am buying a 17 XLT with 202A Nav etc. it is Oxford white with Dune leather with 35K miles. I have a 04 expy I am trading in

I have a 2016 EL XLT with 202A. In my opinion it is enough luxury without giving up daily driver ruggedness. Navigation, CarPlay, leather heated/cooled front seats, remote start.