2017 Expy Can you upgrade from halogen to HID headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The6ofus

Reaction score
Yes, I’ll be curious to know the outcome.

Here’s a thought...with the LEDs installed, turn the lights on at night against your garage (or wall). Then go to the passenger side and pull the light out far enough that you can get your hand behind it or put it on a step stool, stack of boxes, whatever...that’s somewhat close to the height of where it typically sits in the truck.

Then stand to the side so the light still hits the wall and twist the bulb out of the housing, but leave it inside the light. Then twist the bulb freely in all possible degrees and see if the light pattern gets better.

I have a wild idea that maybe someone at the factory didn’t attach the “bulb holder” assembly to your light properly...and that the bulb on the right side sits at a different angle than the left side. With halogen bulbs, you’d never notice the difference since the light is omnidirectional.

If that’s not the case and you can’t get the beam pattern to look right no matter what angle the LED sits in, HID is your next best bet. Like halogen bulbs, HIDs are omnidirectional...minus the grounding strap.

Thanks again for the info. I’ll give that a shot as well.

2017 XLT 4x4

The6ofus

Reaction score
After further discussions with Diode Dynamics they approved a return of all four bulbs for a full refund. They have never seen a pattern like mine either.

The halogens seem fine, as far as pattern goes.

Cookieman00x

Reaction score

11henrs

Reaction score
Cookieman any chance you could take a picture of the headlights on at night to get an idea of brightness and throw? Also did these fit with the dust cover on or was it modified? Thanks. I’m about to go HID on my ‘17 w/projector and LEDs are trying to get my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk