2017 Ford El ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn’t sound terribly different than mine, I have ~72000 on my 2017. Doesn’t mean something isn’t wrong with mine, I guess. I don’t recall it ever sounding much different. If yours started all of a sudden the concern is valid. Tough to say whether it’s been there all along and you just noticed, or if it just started.

OP
OP
outdare

outdare

Reaction score
I'll get out some long extensions and see if I can track down the ticking noise.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

OP
OP
outdare

outdare

Reaction score
The ticking is coming from the hpfp top driver's side rear. Also I am getting a audible noise from my pvc pipe passengers side front. I'll post some picks up later. I will try some fuel additive to see if this may be bad gas. Not sure if the pvc deal is normal or not.

Hpfp

Pvc

Now it is quieter

Just to compare.

Noisy

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did you do to make it quieter? Mine had sounded like that since I purchased it with 34k miles. I'm now at 58k on my 17 EL, but have certified pre owned powertrain warranty till 100k so I figure if it craps the bed and needs timing components before then, it will only cost me the $100 deductible. I've heard many F150s sound exactly the same and I've also heard ones that are completely silent....

OP
OP
outdare

outdare

Reaction score
I just changed the oil and put in Lucas fuel additive. I topped the tank off with premium fuel. I normally run 89 octane.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds normal to me. I've had my '16 EB Expedition for 3 years and have put 50,000 miles on it (at 105,000 miles now), it's sounded like that since the day I bought it. The HPFP makes some noise as do the injectors. The fuel injectors in direct injected engines are quite loud.

Goldmember

Reaction score
I’m glad you posted this as I’ve notice the ticking noise as well. I have a 2017 Platinum El with about 75000km or 45000 miles and it’s been bothering me. I notice it when remote starting during winter time. It seems to cause vibration from something underneath. I changed the exhaust gear clamps thinking it was that. The sound seems to pickup and go as the engine idles. It also sounds louder as I accelerate slightly at the drive through and as the sound reflects back. I don’t think it’s normal as not all ecoboosts have this sound but I’m not a mechanic and this is my first ecoboost engine. Thanks for sharing.

ssmock

Reaction score
Might be a cracked exhaust manifold. That was what my 2014 was doing, ticking noise and sounded like a lifter. Had it replaced under the Ford ESP warranty. Glad I had that as two exhaust manifold bolts broke (not uncommon) and had to be repaired. That was on the V-8 engine not the Ecoboost but worth checking.

libertycrab

Reaction score
The bolt to hold on the header may have broken off and it is an exhaust leak like on the 5.4?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Turbo wastegate rattle(check eng light on?), Cam Phaser/timing chain, noisey direct injection pump.