2018 Expedition Gearing Option Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$1,500 is a steal for that equipment!!

Depends. My trailer has surge brakes, so I don't need the brake controller. I can back up just fine, so don't need the Backup Assist. I've never been stuck with the standard 4WD, rarely ever used 4WD Low, etc. Also, if you want to tow more than 6000#, you probably should have a WDH, anyway. So for me, the $1500 makes no sense. I'd prefer to hold on to the cash and get better mileage in daily driving.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not discounting your decision, i think your logic is solid. to each is own. personally, $1,500 on a $60,000, or in mine and many others cases, $80,000 vehicle practically nothing. I plan on having this truck for a minute. i could see where these features could all come into play at various times. hell, just for resale value.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's something everybody should decide for themselves. However, resale value is definitely not a good reason to spend more on a vehicle. If the residual value at 5 years is say, 50%, you just lose the additional 50% of the extra money you spend on the purchase price. In this case, you'd lose another $750. You need to buy the vehicle that's best for you, period. Forget about resale value.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get 3:73. I have a 05 with the 3.73 and a 2010 with the 3:31. It always seems to be down shifting at every hill where the 3.73 just hums along fine in od. Highway the 3.31about 2mpg better then the 05 but it has 100k more miles on it. The 05 at 75mph is about 2-2100k where the 10 is about 1700-1800k rpms

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, you're saying that you'd rather your transmission not downshift and sacrifice more than 10% fuel economy? I'd rather have the trans do what it's supposed to do, select the appropriate gear for the load, throttle position, etc, to maximize fuel economy. After all, the new 10 speed was developed with precisely this goal in mind. Again, if you tow a heavy trailer a lot, the HD towing package makes sense. If not, probably not. But everybody should weigh the options for themselves and buy what best suits their needs. If the 3.73 was best for everybody, the 3.31 wouldn't be the standard equipment.

Last edited:

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
So, you're saying that you'd rather your transmission not downshift and sacrifice more than 10% fuel economy? I'd rather have the trans do what it's supposed to do, select the appropriate gear for the load, throttle position, etc, to maximize fuel economy. After all, the new 10 speed was developed with precisely this goal in mind. Again, if you tow a heavy trailer a lot, the HD towing package makes sense. If not, probably not. But everybody should weigh the options for themselves and buy what best suits their needs. If the 3.73 was best for everybody, the 3.31 wouldn't be the standard equipment.
Paddler, with all due respect I think you are beating a dead horse. The OP cited several things that all point toward a 3.73 with the HD towing package:
1. lead foot
2. mountain driving
3. towing a boat

The 3.31 makes sense for you. Great! It would probably be ok for the OP but the 3.73 would be a better fit IMO. Besides, fuel economy is not the prime driver for Expedition owners. Otherwise, we'd all be driving a Jetta TDI.;)

And I think the resale value is a valid point. All things being equal, I would buy the 3.73 w/ HD tow package over the 3.31 every time. But I tow a boat a lot, 18 ft trailer w/ a tractor, live in the mountains, etc. Family wagon in Ohio? Maybe 3.31.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I completely disagree. IIRC, the OP said he tows a boat twice per year. Very little. Mountain driving doesn't justify the 3.73, either, given the 10 speed transmission. And lead foot? Again, it's just crazy to say that's a reason to buy the 3.73. The trans learns your driving habits. Again, the 3.31 is standard because Ford thinks it's the best option for most people. It's called the "HD Towing" package, not the "Mountain Driving" or "Lead Foot" package. Your personal bias is just that. Just ask yourself one question about the resale argument. Is the difference in KBB value for a several year old Expedition more or less than MSRP for the HD tow package?

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Ok. We will disagree. For many people, the 3.31 will be the better choice.

Granted, the 10-speed transmission and the ecoboost change the equation a bit. And yes, the PCM will adjust shift points for driver habits. But if the lead foot wants a more responsive feel, you will still get a better response with a lower gear ratio - all things being equal.

And I must have missed where the OP only tows 2x a year. I thought it was more frequent. But if I recall, the boat weighs 6K. I suspect that is an under-estimate. Most people don't include all the fuel in the boat, equipment, etc. that is included. I prefer knowing that I have an auxiliary transmission cooler when pulling that kind of weight, especially if it is in the mountains. Call me crazy.

A taller gear ratio means you will also be running in a smaller gear to maintain the same speed when pulling the boat up a mountain. And your transmission will run hotter. Of course, you could drive slower up the mountain but the OP has already admitted he has a lead foot.

I am not talking about the KBB resale value but perceived customer preference. Whether that is personal bias or not is certainly up for debate.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. The OP will choose whatever works for him. I have no doubt that either will be fine.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the OP:

"Very little towing, but tow a 6,000lbs ski boat twice a year on flat highway."