2018 Expedition Max Suspension, Noise Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joec2018

Reaction score
After about 5000 miles of use, a partner of mine in our industry has mentioned that clients are complaining about the suspension of the vehicle. A bumpy, rattling, uncomfortable ride is how it was described.

I decided to take mine for a test drive which is now at about the 10k mile mark.

While the suspension and rattling isn't as bad as he made it out to be, I did notice it is not nearly as tight and quiet as it was. There is a very bad creaking noise coming from the tail end of the vehicle when coming to a stop, during application of the brakes. I checked the trunk and made sure the rear cargo compartment had no loose components rattling around. I also noticed that while leaning up against the rear bumper cover, a loud squeaking noise consistently presents itself. I am not sure if this is the source of that same sound but it is concerning.

The vehicle also appears to shake and make a loud banging noise when closing the doors.

What's going on here? Has anybody else noticed this yet?

This is not related to the drive mode, which has been tested in both Normal and Eco.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After about 5000 miles of use, a partner of mine in our industry has mentioned that clients are complaining about the suspension of the vehicle. A bumpy, rattling, uncomfortable ride is how it was described.

I decided to take mine for a test drive which is now at about the 10k mile mark.

While the suspension and rattling isn't as bad as he made it out to be, I did notice it is not nearly as tight and quiet as it was. There is a very bad creaking noise coming from the tail end of the vehicle when coming to a stop, during application of the brakes. I checked the trunk and made sure the rear cargo compartment had no loose components rattling around. I also noticed that while leaning up against the rear bumper cover, a loud squeaking noise consistently presents itself. I am not sure if this is the source of that same sound but it is concerning.

The vehicle also appears to shake and make a loud banging noise when closing the doors.

What's going on here? Has anybody else noticed this yet?

This is not related to the drive mode, which has been tested in both Normal and Eco.
The noise when closing the door is probably the exhaust. I’ve heard mine rattle a little when the rear passenger door gets shut hard. Same noise when I accidentally kick the exhaust when activating the tailgate with my foot.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like theres an issue with your suspension, i would take it in. I dont have a max but the the ride on mines has gotten better with time. I also lowered the tire pressure to 34, seems to found the sweet spot for efficiency and ride comfort.

David Ieroncig

Reaction score
Sounds like theres an issue with your suspension, i would take it in. I dont have a max but the the ride on mines has gotten better with time. I also lowered the tire pressure to 34, seems to found the sweet spot for efficiency and ride comfort.

Hmm.. 34psi down from 39psi required for 22 inch wheel package?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines dont havr the 22in wheela, on the door the rec tire pressure is 36 so it bounces btw 34 and 36 depending on weather conditions.

richard carlton

Reaction score
My 2018 creaked as well....its a Ford Service Bulletin fix. Dealer did something with the bumper...styrofoam or something.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...i may need to take mines back in. Mines stopped creakin outta nowhhere and has been quiet and buttery ever since. Im guessin joe traded it in.