2018 Expedition Transmission overfilled by Dealer and resulting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were very fair with your assessment of expenses. Perhaps at a long term investment in an extended Ford Protect warranty. Just to have peace of mind.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Just curious and may be slightly off topic but still related. I rented a Tahoe with the same trans and after hours of driving. Hills and hwy driving (enough to get it warm) It never once went over 145°.

Maybe apples to oranges? I feel like the Expedition using the same trans would be in a similar operating range.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I traded my Expy Max for a Yukon XL and noticed the same thing. Around town my transmission temp sits in the 145-165 range. Towing I’ve seen it as high as the mid-180s. With my Expy it would be around 210 in town and mid-230s towing in the mountains.

JL Cruising

Reaction score
This exact same scenario happened to my daughter with the family onboard. After the tranny overheated and belched out the fluid and smoke from the fluid hitting the exhaust piping they pulled off the interstate(ironically in N. Arizona). After letting it cool down they were able to get back on the road manually shifting. No more over heating and were able to return to place of service. This was 4 months ago. No further issues since.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I traded my Expy Max for a Yukon XL and noticed the same thing. Around town my transmission temp sits in the 145-165 range. Towing I’ve seen it as high as the mid-180s. With my Expy it would be around 210 in town and mid-230s towing in the mountains.

I service my truck at a Ford performance shop. They do race mustangs, have a in-ground dyno, fiberglass fabrication shop etc. They do rebuilds every day and are very familiar with the VVT issues i.e cam phasers etc with Fords 5.4's and 3.5's.

They suggested I look into a Blazer, Suburban, Yukon etc....basic V8, or the Hemi V8 but not ecobooms.

Just sayin.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Follow up:

Dealership stood behind their service and agreed to pay everything except the refund on the initial transmission service cost of $675 stating that they are honoring the warranty, express and implied. I actually agreed with that explanation. Everything else though tow, lost salary, rental car and fuel expenses they are going to cover. The Service Manager was easy going and expressed genuine concern that this had occurred. I also shared that I hope the technicians were able to learn something from this and take extra care when dealing with transmissions and people's vehicles in general. So far, tranny seems to be fine and to be running cooler than normal which tells me that factory levels may have been wrong as well. I saw in another thread someone saying the factory transmission fluid level was 1.5 quarts low. Fingers are crossed for long term durability of the transmission and associated systems.

I am happy that the overflow vent on the transmission did its job and prevented damage to moving parts.

Thanks for everyones' input!
What kind of transmission service costs $675.00? For 675 they should have changed transmission fluid, transfer case, front and rear axles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire