2018 Platinum vs Navigator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a new model comes out, especially before they are out in the lot, they aren’t willing to negotiate as much. First buyers will always pay more, then when the newness wears off they negotiate. You didn’t do bad for the trucks not even being on lots yet. If you need one you need one, if you feel your deal was good it was good for you and that’s what matters. I remember GM was playing that game in 2015 with the Tahoe, now they’ll let you walk them down at least 10 grand off MSRP. People do even better than that if they have sat in the lot.

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When a new model comes out, especially before they are out in the lot, they aren’t willing to negotiate as much. First buyers will always pay more, then when the newness wears off they negotiate. You didn’t do bad for the trucks not even being on lots yet. If you need one you need one, if you feel your deal was good it was good for you and that’s what matters. I remember GM was playing that game in 2015 with the Tahoe, now they’ll let you walk them down at least 10 grand off MSRP. I’ve seen guys get up to $15,000 off on tahoes this year, granted they sat on the lot for a year because nobody was willing to pay what they asked. They will have the same problem here with the new expy. they’ll have trucks sit on the lots for a year and then they’ll be willing to talk.
When we went to make our order they were giving us prices for the 2017 models, it was so cheap it was really hard to pass on. However, we didn’t like the styling at all and the models they had left didn’t have the options we really wanted. Cost was a concern but it was further down the list as it would be for most, everyone has their priorities.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Naw, I wasn't bragging, just trying to show that it's possible by a regular guy to get a better number but as I've said before on this forum, everyone's deal is their own and they should always feel good about the deal that they made, with THEIR money!

Congratulations on your new truck!!

jeff

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Naw, I wasn't bragging, just trying to show that it's possible by a regular guy to get a better number but as I've said before on this forum, everyone's deal is their own and they should always feel good about the deal that they made, with THEIR money!

Congratulations on your new truck!!

jeff
100% agree, do what makes the bubble bounce for you ...we demand pictures as soon as it arrives

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So any other Platinum buyers consider the Navi instead or vise versa? What was your reasoning?

When I’ve priced a nicely equipped Platinum it’s coming to around $84k. The same options but on the Navi cost about $8k more.

But then also like someone else mentioned there is a better warranty and other perks to consider. Then there’s the reviews that say for “just” an extra $15k the Black Label is so much better. One reviewer said it’s the best interior of any car under $300,000! But $100,000?? That’s still a lot of money for a ride even if it’s a “great value”. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So any other Platinum buyers consider the Navi instead or vise versa? What was your reasoning?

When I’ve priced a nicely equipped Platinum it’s coming to around $84k. The same options but on the Navi cost about $8k more.

But then also like someone else mentioned there is a better warranty and other perks to consider. Then there’s the reviews that say for “just” an extra $15k the Black Label is so much better. One reviewer said it’s the best interior of any car under $300,000! But $100,000?? That’s still a lot of money for a ride even if it’s a “great value”. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a loaded reserve minus rear entertainment screens. The ‘Black Label’ was just out of our price range. Especially when considering we started our new car journey considering a Explorer, my wife can be convinced only so much. The difference from the Reserve to the Black Label wasn’t that big a deal, it’s a suede headliner, leather on all trim which replaces some vinyl, maybe some more but nothing I recall that I would consider earth shattering. For us the decision came down to the interior, my wife preferred the Navi over the truck feel of the Expedition. Her family is cross country and we plan on making that drive along with including several activities along the way with our babies so the overall more luxurious interior will be a big comfort feature over the expy. The Navi seems to fit better with the cost vs the expy seems like a stretch at that cost. I’m sure buying as soon as it comes out limited our negotiating room on both so we may have been able to get the expy at what we would consider a more appropriate price but we are in a position where we desperately need a upgrade in vehicle because of new babies and the cost wasn’t the #1 priority at the moment. This along with the other items you referenced (warranty, service pickup and drop off, etc...) made it the better choice for us.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i had the money id choose a navi select. With the options i wanted it wouldve been 85k, but the limited i got with said options is 66k.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a loaded reserve minus rear entertainment screens. The ‘Black Label’ was just out of our price range. Especially when considering we started our new car journey considering a Explorer, my wife can be convinced only so much. The difference from the Reserve to the Black Label wasn’t that big a deal, it’s a suede headliner, leather on all trim which replaces some vinyl, maybe some more but nothing I recall that I would consider earth shattering. For us the decision came down to the interior, my wife preferred the Navi over the truck feel of the Expedition. Her family is cross country and we plan on making that drive along with including several activities along the way with our babies so the overall more luxurious interior will be a big comfort feature over the expy. The Navi seems to fit better with the cost vs the expy seems like a stretch at that cost. I’m sure buying as soon as it comes out limited our negotiating room on both so we may have been able to get the expy at what we would consider a more appropriate price but we are in a position where we desperately need a upgrade in vehicle because of new babies and the cost wasn’t the #1 priority at the moment. This along with the other items you referenced (warranty, service pickup and drop off, etc...) made it the better choice for us.
I can relate to the wife being convinced - heck I convinced mine to marry me 31 years ago. :)

If I hadn't bought the 17 and waited for the new 18s, I think I would still have gone for the Limited Max loaded with all of the options that I wanted. I don't think that the extra HP in the Platinum engine is a big enough draw for me to justify the extra cash.

I've owned 9 Mercedes over the past 25 years, 4 were brand new, and the others used, C ML, (those were the new ones - had 3 MLs) and E, C, and S (used ones).To me the Expedition interior is every bit as good as the Mercedes interior not counting the real wood in the Mercedes which gets alligator cracks in the finish over time. In addition, the Expedition is very quiet to drive compared to the 09 ML which was very quiet compared to the 06 and the 03.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm impressed that you were able to come to these definitive conclusions just through brochures and pictures. I'm assuming they did not have any demo models for you all to see in person? I can tell from the pictures that the Navi is more luxury, for sure. However, the Platinum Expy looks like a different kind of luxury as well. The stitching in the leather seats and doors looks like Mercedes quality. Of course, I may sit in it and think otherwise...or not. I guess what I'm saying is that when one spends upwards of $85K for a car, it's hard for me to make that level of commitment and decide without seeing it, sitting in it, feeling the leather and materials, driving it in multiple speeds and road environments etc.... I'm sure once I drive an Expy and Navi and learn first hand what each is like then the decision becomes easy. It's just too hard right now for me. How did you do it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69