2019 Expedition making a bad sound when cold starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdog2964

Reaction score
I have a 2019 expedition and when i start it when its cold, it make a really bad noise, almost like a loud heavy clicking for a couple of seconds, then stops. After that the engine runs fine until the next cold start.
I know thats pretty vague, but when i described it to the dealership service department, they acted like they knew what it was, but didnt tell me, just that they would need the car for a couple days.
Any ideas what this is and if its a common issue?
thanks

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea what month yours was built? Not sure about the 19’s I have September build. It got some updates that the earlier 19’s don’t have. Like a cast Aluminum oil pan etc.

I think earlier builds have had lifter issues? That were loud at cold start. I also would be very careful with oil choice and change interval as that could easily be a factor.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
Any idea what month yours was built? Not sure about the 19’s I have September build. It got some updates that the earlier 19’s don’t have. Like a cast Aluminum oil pan etc.

I think earlier builds have had lifter issues? That were loud at cold start. I also would be very careful with oil choice and change interval as that could easily be a factor.
Yes lifters did come up in the conversation with the service guy, also something about the oil not circulating properly. It only has 23k miles so it will be under warranty, but just thought it was odd that it happened so soon. Oil has been changed regularly.
thanks

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phasers! lots of threads on here talking about it. TSB out there for them as well. EB F150s have the same issues with the phaser. Search on YouTube too.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck, usually a week or more in the shop and I believe parts are back ordered for at least 3 months... Sadly some folks on here have had to get it done more than once. I had mine fixed a couple months ago. I only had 13k miles.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it only lasts for a second or two it’s 100% bad cam phasers. Not an easy fix but dealers are familiar with it.

cruiseguy24

Reaction score
I am starting to get this too and debating when to get it done. Anyone know if it is harmful to the engine or is it just annoying?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S Mathieson

Reaction score
I have a 2019 expedition and when i start it when its cold, it make a really bad noise, almost like a loud heavy clicking for a couple of seconds, then stops. After that the engine runs fine until the next cold start.
I know thats pretty vague, but when i described it to the dealership service department, they acted like they knew what it was, but didnt tell me, just that they would need the car for a couple days.
Any ideas what this is and if its a common issue?
thanks

S Mathieson

Reaction score
My wife’s 18 platinum has the same issue, dealer covered it under warranty. Problem solved. I have a 2020 Navigator as well, hoping they have the problem solved ( same engine)
Good luck

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus