2019 XLT 9 Speaker Stereo Upgrade - Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have been trying to find options for upgrading the stereo in my 2019 XLT with the 9 speaker 8" sync.

My initial thought is to replace the factory speakers and add a simple 8" or 10" powered sub to fill in the low end.

I can't seem to find a good spot to put the sub (that doesn't take up cargo room). Initially I was thinking a low profile powered 8" or 10" under one of the seats but the 2nd row foot vents are taking up the space under the front seats, and 2nd and 3rd row all fold down flush. Anybody know of a stealth sub enclosure that is out yet?

This might seem like a dumb question but does anybody know if the the component-looking speaker separates in the rear doors and front doors/pillars are actually components? Meaning, can I buy a set of replacement component speakers and just swap them out or do they have built in crossovers?

Also wondering if anybody has messed with the head unit to add an amplifier (for a sub, or to power all the speakers) or if everybody is just using high-level inputs?

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
On the higher level trims (Limited/Platinum) with the B & O stereo, in the cargo area driver side there is a speaker that I believe is a sub-woofer. If you have the 2019 XLT like me, that same compartment is storage since the XLT doesn't have the sub-woofer there. It does take away storage though.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I would have loved to grab a limited, but with the black friday deal it significantly widened the gap between my XLT and the Limited so I couldn't justify the upgrade.

I did see that area, and wondering about doing a custom stealth fiberglass enclosure there. We will see....

Mean_Dean

Reaction score

Ken Alford

Reaction score
I have been trying to find options for upgrading the stereo in my 2019 XLT with the 9 speaker 8" sync.

My initial thought is to replace the factory speakers and add a simple 8" or 10" powered sub to fill in the low end.

I can't seem to find a good spot to put the sub (that doesn't take up cargo room). Initially I was thinking a low profile powered 8" or 10" under one of the seats but the 2nd row foot vents are taking up the space under the front seats, and 2nd and 3rd row all fold down flush. Anybody know of a stealth sub enclosure that is out yet?

This might seem like a dumb question but does anybody know if the the component-looking speaker separates in the rear doors and front doors/pillars are actually components? Meaning, can I buy a set of replacement component speakers and just swap them out or do they have built in crossovers?

Also wondering if anybody has messed with the head unit to add an amplifier (for a sub, or to power all the speakers) or if everybody is just using high-level inputs?

I have a similar system in my 19 Expedition XLT MAX 202A.

The front speakers are Ford specific 6x9's you will need adapters to put in aftermarket replacements, they have tweeters up in the A pillars near the windshield. Rear speakers are 6 1/2 components (separate tweeters up high) that need speaker adapters to use aftermarket replacements as well. The center channel is a single voice coil 3.5' speaker. Everything is powered from the ACM (radio) behind the large dash bezel that trims the screen and has the radio controls and heater a/c buttons. Front and rear speakers are wired in parallel with capacitors on the tweeters to cross them over. I am unsure if the woofers have a low pass crossover filter on them.

JL Audio is working on a stealth box due out sometime in 2020. The factory radio has a eq curve on the outputs that doesn't sound all that great and I have measured the outputs to see that it clips (distorts) the audio as soon as volume level hits about 20.

Check out www.infotainment.com for their audio re-programmer and integration harness to allow an aftermarket amplifier install (go 5 channel recommend JL VXI ) and you can get a system that will far surpass B&O IMHO.The programmer will turn off the factory eq curve/ DSP and tell the ACM to send out a variable line level signal you can send to aftermarket amplifiers cleanly. You will still have bass/mid/treble/fader/balance and speed sensitive volume control available. I used this company for converting to a factory 8" screen and audio interfacing in my now traded 17 XLT. My 19 will get the old 5 channel JL VXI amp and tuning on the stock speakers soon and will use a box in the back for the subwoofer until a stealthbox that fits in the drivers side rear panel is released. You can get a shop to build you one if you cant wait. The JL micro sub 8W3 in ported box is small and sounds great and could sit on the floor until you are ready for something more permanent.

BTW I have worked with them to upgrade my 19 to now have a CD player with HD radio which is not an option for an XLT in 19. All factory parts working perfectly and of course looks factory too.

Have fun!

KenK

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing more about his. I have 2018 XLT and want to make improvements to the audio preferably without changing the head unit.

explorersvt

Reaction score
on mine i removed the center headrest for the 3rd row seat and tucked a JL audio 6w3 in a ported enclosure on the floor rear firing. the fit was perfect with the 2nd row center seat slid up a click or two forward (built it to JL spec/dimensions with only slight modification to originally fit under the rear seat of my former f150). I will see if i have pics of it anywhere. It was adequate in that it provided some low end response that the factory B&O 10" wasn't producing, and definitely added some volume. I could have easily built a truck style wedge box and placed an 8" or 10" in the same spot between the seats, but i just dont have the time anymore. I have since moved up to a Skar Audio 8" in a ported enclosure that just sits behind the second row on the cargo floorboard.

Also learned the hard way on my f150 that high level inputs will sound like crap, I run the feed through an audio control Lc2i now- made a world of difference.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread here. Just replaced the rear door speakers on my XLT, and noticed that when the factory installed the doorpanels, they crimped a wire bundle (both sides) between the factory 6" speakers and the grills. It was pushed against the speaker cones so hard that it left a 3" permanent crease in the speaker. Basically prevented the throw of the speaker. So, if you're not happy about the 'tinny' sound of the XLT, and are not in the mood to upgrade, take a flashlight and shine up into the top of the door panel grill and see if that wire bundle is sandwiched in there. If so, its a quick job to pop the panel off and cut the wire tie so the cable is out of the way. That will allow the speaker to actually do its job (albeit not much better).

On another note from this thread, any updates on a good solution for a subwoofer for the XLT? Does anyone know if the wires for the B&O subwoofer back in the drivers side rear panel are still run (even with no sub) on the XLT trim? If its like a lot of cars, they run the wires first and determine the trim level after. So, the wiring could already be there and make life easy to put in a little 8" powered sub.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry