2019 xlt front axle noise during hard turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake8

Reaction score
I got my xlt 2019 at 12 miles from the dealership. Had a cracking type of noise when making hard turns, u turns. I figured it would settle sooner or later since regular turns were buttery smooth but nothing has changed. Anyone else run into a similar issue? I'm headed to the dealer and will keep you informed on the outcome.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just starting getting something similar to that, but maybe more of a grinding noise. Seems to be mostly when turning left, but on the way to the dealer next week. I thought I was dragging the kids bike underneath the first time it happened....

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my xlt 2019 at 12 miles from the dealership. Had a cracking type of noise when making hard turns, u turns. I figured it would settle sooner or later since regular turns were buttery smooth but nothing has changed. Anyone else run into a similar issue? I'm headed to the dealer and will keep you informed on the outcome.
2wd or 4wd?

OP
OP
J

Jake8

Reaction score
Sounds like its coming from the rack and pinion. I told the dealership before the maintenance and they said they will take a look at it but after the maintenance was over they completely ignored the issue and said we did not take a look at that issue yet, bring it back another time...? I feel like they might have looked at it because I feel like its now happening a bit easier than it did before. Now, I don't have to make a full hard turn to hear it, a simple turn is making the same noise.. Hesitant on going back to the same dealership now. I might be totally wrong though, I only had the chance to drove it back to the house so far.

OP
OP
J

Jake8

Reaction score
We just starting getting something similar to that, but maybe more of a grinding noise. Seems to be mostly when turning left, but on the way to the dealer next week. I thought I was dragging the kids bike underneath the first time it happened....
My wife thought she hit something the first time she heard it and came running to me saying she cant find anything underneath. I already knew of the issue she was referring to. Sounds like the rack and pinion is loose in place or something..

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife thought she hit something the first time she heard it and came running to me saying she cant find anything underneath. I already knew of the issue she was referring to. Sounds like the rack and pinion is loose in place or something..

May I ask which dealership? I don’t have any great ideas. I assume you are stock tires and rims. U-turns are important in our area! I probably did about 5 before moving to south Florida. Now I can do 5 in a single day.

One f150 video mentions a heat shield touching the rear driveshaft. Is it turning sharp both directions or just one. Most of the people mention the similar issue have 4wd. Capturing the sound on video may be helpful, but continue to push the dealer.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine's 4wd, I thought I read somewhere on here something about a hub not disengaging or something like that and to do with vacuum lines. I'll have to go digging again when I have time.

OP
OP
J

Jake8

Reaction score
Its definitely feeling like its louder and more consistent now after 8k miles and visiting the dealership. I don't want to mention the dealership because I could be completely wrong about the increase in the issue but its definitely there and not going away. I mainly thought it was odd that they didn't even bother looking into something I mentioned before hand.

Yes, all stock. Never abused. Directly purchased new from a different dealership in Orlando. The issue was present from the beginning.

I would think its the wheel bearings because it sounds like it but the way the car drives on the regular makes me think its nothing related to that. It only happens on turns and especially if there is an inconsistency on the road like trying to make a turn over a speed bump or something, you really hear loud cracking like its a really big issue that needs immediate attention.

I will have to make a new appointment to have it taken a look at but I am not sure if I should visit the same dealership, they seem too busy and backed up to care about me.