2020 Expy Limited in-dash display??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalvenin

Reaction score
I used to have a 2015 Tahoe and the in-dash display could display the map(at least the info and when to turn, exit, etc... and it would display radio information such as what song/artist was playing, radio station, etc... This much newer expy doesn't have any of that... the digital speedometer is probably the only thing useful aside from the settings to enable and disable functionality... was this on purpose or did Ford drop the ball on this? opinions?

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious ... my 2018 XLT has a "navigation" or "compass" setting (can't remember which it is called) that displays the compass when no route is set in navigation and turn by turn directions and speed limit sign when there is a route set.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have a 2015 Tahoe and the in-dash display could display the map(at least the info and when to turn, exit, etc... and it would display radio information such as what song/artist was playing, radio station, etc... This much newer expy doesn't have any of that... the digital speedometer is probably the only thing useful aside from the settings to enable and disable functionality... was this on purpose or did Ford drop the ball on this? opinions?

Who knows. They really hobbled the display functionality compared to other manufacturers. In the navigator you can’t even scroll through all of your preset stations.

Phillip White

Reaction score
In my humble opinion Ford drops the ball a lot with respect to the Expedition. One example of this is the crap 160 watt inverter they put in them while all their trucks get 400 watt ones. We pay a premium for these vehicles but they seem to be the last line that get anything that shines.

Don't get me wrong though... They are nice vehicles and when it's in the shop and you have to find a comparable rental - unless you are in a big city - you won't be able to do it. Ford gives you just enough to appreciate your Expedition when you don't have it but, at the same time, they make you wish you could drive one of their trucks instead. Since I can't due to my needing to drive 5 overweight clients around all the time - the Expedition is the only option for me.

PharmerBrown

Reaction score

I can display those. I added all of my favorites to "my list" so that I don't have to jump all over trying to find them.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can display those. I added all of my favorites to "my list" so that I don't have to jump all over trying to find them.

Your dash display will show station/song/album etc regardless of source?
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PharmerBrown

Reaction score
Your dash display will show station/song/album etc regardless of source?

No, sorry. It will display the navigation directions. I keep the center console on the home setting where it displays the audio.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, sorry. It will display the navigation directions. I keep the center console on the home setting where it displays the audio.

You don’t use carplay or android auto?

For those of us who do this limitation stinks.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It can display more vehicle info than the tahoe, however, they left out the audio and temp displays. The nav display and speedo only display when using the system nav settings, idk if they display using auto or carplay. The 2015 to 2017 displays did have that info, so it's weird ford left it out when they created it and didn't update that after the 2015 f150. My guess is, due to the breadth of options for the system to process through, there wasnt enough storage or time to include programming for the audio display. Unfortunately, as discussed, ford limits money when developing the expy, and uses the f150 development time to do the expy, releases the product as is, unfinished, until they gradually improve its shortcomings. Atleast that what it seems like to me. Luckiky, the actual product is a great one, just unpolished. Good news is they seem to be taking the product seriously as the refresh is due end of this yr.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can display more vehicle info than the tahoe, however, they left out the audio and temp displays. The nav display and speedo only display when using the system nav settings, idk if they display using auto or carplay. The 2015 to 2017 displays did have that info, so it's weird ford left it out when they created it and didn't update that after the 2015 f150. My guess is, due to the breadth of options for the system to process through, there wasnt enough storage or time to include programming for the audio display. Unfortunately, as discussed, ford limits money when developing the expy, and uses the f150 development time to do the expy, releases the product as is, unfinished, until they gradually improve its shortcomings. Atleast that what it seems like to me. Luckiky, the actual product is a great one, just unpolished. Good news is they seem to be taking the product seriously as the refresh is due end of this yr.

The expy doesn’t have a temp read out in the dash? Jeez. At least the Navi has that in the HUD.

The GM’s I’ve owned had more info available in the dash than my Navi and more easily accessible. As an example, you could have it display “off road” data (wheel angle and slope angle) without being in a specific “drive” mode. Not a big deal but the audio limitations (especially inability to scroll through or combine presets) is maddening.