2020 Wont Start, lights flicker, no clicking, replaced battery, now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordguy987

Reaction score
I have a 2020 expedition that has started randomly not starting since i bought it 2 months ago. 40k miles 4x4 model. Car will randomly not start after sitting overnight or in parking lot for hours at a time. Lights flicker in dash but brake pedal goes stiff and car electronics just flash. Bought new batter a month ago since voltages and CCAs were low according to local auto parts store. Now it’s doing it again. I have the battery on a battery maintainer which seems to fix the issue after an hour or so. Also, when this issue happens the remote start function sometimes works as a work around. I have an appointment with the ford service but they couldn’t get me in until the 7th of August. Any ideas?
Is this a part of any known issues? Something seems to be drawing power from batt when car is off I think. And the auto parts store had a hard time checking the battery and alternator since there was something drawing battery power… took it to ford and they hooked it up to their battery tester and said the voltage and amps were reading low so that’s why I replaced it.
Edit- forgot to mention that advance auto where I bought the replacement agm battery checked computer for codes but there were none in the computer.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Edit- forgot to mention that advance auto where I bought the replacement agm battery checked computer for codes but there were none in the computer.
The PCM is dropping codes if the battery is losing charge… that’s my guess.

Have you noticed if anything is staying on longer than usual. I.E., had a coworker with similar issues on an F-150. I found that the door switch on his rear passenger door was inop. Causing the truck to think door was still open. Did a bit more troubleshooting to find it was a faulty switch; I got the lights to go out by shorting the switch. Put it back together so he could take it in for warranty repair. He was one of those “only the dealer repairs my truck” guys. Whatever!!!

He was very reluctant to even let me look at it… much less allow me to take the door apart. Besides the fact I’ve got more years working on cars than he’s been alive, I’m also a helicopter Avionics/ Electrical instructor with more than 30yrs in the business on various airframes (Cobra, Kiowa, Apache, Blackhawk, and Chinook’s). I think I can handle a car door.

Let us know what you find out. I’m very curious as electrical gremlins are the worst. Almost never the same thing twice. Good luck.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Picking the low hanging fruit first:

Anything plugged into any of the "cigarette lighter" power points? These are hot all the time and my GPS and radar detector pull enough power to kill the battery (sometimes) over a long weekend. My kid is an adult now but she sometimes left something plugged into the outlet in the middle seat.

Years ago -- make that decades -- I had a problem with a light in the trunk of a car which didn't go out when the lid was closed and was, of course, impossible to see. Not an issue with the Expedition but there may be hidden lights here too. My problem was detected by locking a 6 year old in the trunk for 3 seconds. :)

Sorry but that brings up a bad -- actually wonderful -- joke:

Who loves you more? Your wife or your dog? Lock both in the trunk and drive around for a few minutes. Open the lid and note who's happier to see you. :)

-- Chuck

Last edited:

mchoudoir

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was going on here? We have a 2020 Expedition Max that is doing the exact same thing. Ours isn’t always after sitting for a while either. We can drive to the store fine, park for 10 minutes, and it won’t start when we go to leave. It’s very frustrating. Most times, we can use the remote start to turn it on and it will start working again, which is even more bizarre.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check the alternator/ battery charging when engine running?

OP
OP
F

fordguy987

Reaction score
Still having same issue. Went away for a few months as I had the rear liftgate and latch replaced due to inconsistently working. But it just came up again this morning when I moved the Expedtion out of the garage (using my key) then locked up. After I leff my wife attempted to start the car using her key and the same exact issue came up again. Dash flickering lights, brakes stiff, no start button function. She had to get out of the car, remote start it, re-enter, then meticulously press the start button without touching the brake pedal (it would turn car off if the brake pedal is depressed on this step) and it finished the startup just fine. Is there something with the remotes and programming that could be an issue?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still having same issue. Went away for a few months as I had the rear liftgate and latch replaced due to inconsistently working. But it just came up again this morning when I moved the Expedtion out of the garage (using my key) then locked up. After I leff my wife attempted to start the car using her key and the same exact issue came up again. Dash flickering lights, brakes stiff, no start button function. She had to get out of the car, remote start it, re-enter, then meticulously press the start button without touching the brake pedal (it would turn car off if the brake pedal is depressed on this step) and it finished the startup just fine. Is there something with the remotes and programming that could be an issue?
It could be your FOBs? Replace batteries, or stick the FOB in the console cupholder key FOB key slot hole, then try to start it.

keithstone

Reaction score
Has anyone found any solutions to this? Our 2021 Expedition Max with 37,000 miles has been doing this for months. (I’ve inserted a link to a video of the lights flickering when pressing the brake pedal and won’t start as described in previous posts)
We’ve taken it to Ford twice and they weren’t able to find any issues. Last week the battery was replaced and the issue continued. We’ve replaced the FOB batteries, swapped FOBs and tried inserting them into the cup holder key slot and the issue continued.

Remote starting the vehicle sometimes works as a work around. We have also found that after waiting several minutes the car starts and operates without any issues. The problem seems to occur randomly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wkml971xTEISwyNcMbfq0enUKx6-MxiX/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited: