2022-23 brake rotor material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Ford did with the brake rotors on the new expeditions? The material looks different from the normal cast iron I've seen for brake rotors for decades. It looks sort of chalky mottled gray. With what appears like porosity. After many rain storms in the last month, there's not even a touch of surface rust anywhere on them.

Mostly a curiosity.
I like the way my 2011 brakes feel better though. These 2023s have more dead pedal before braking than my 11.

Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Ford did with the brake rotors on the new expeditions? The material looks different from the normal cast iron I've seen for brake rotors for decades. It looks sort of chalky mottled gray. With what appears like porosity. After many rain storms in the last month, there's not even a touch of surface rust anywhere on them.

Mostly a curiosity.
I like the way my 2011 brakes feel better though. These 2023s have more dead pedal before braking than my 11.

Thanks.

The rotors have a special treatment to them, which only goes partially into the metal from the surface - which eliminates the rust. The process was developed by GM for their brake rotors.

Here is information regarding GM’s process: https://news.gm.com/newsroom.detail.html/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Nov/1130_fnc.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire